= State of the Fleet, May 2016 =

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck = State of the Fleet, May 2016 =

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Greetings and salutations 44th! Here’s your latest Fleet Review – posted a week late but that was intentional. First, join me in greeting and sending some friend invites to our newest members joining the previous month;

@Jamesmaxwell (Sam) from Minnesota,
    @Steviebips#514 (Steve) from the UK,
    Tyrell@Cirdrom (David) from the Eastern US,
    @tbjarnason (Tyler) from ALberta, Canada,
    @Grzywa2863 (Krystian) from Lodz, Poland,
    Nathan Gire@cl0815 (Candy) from Plauen, Germany.

We’ve also seen some veterans returning, a welcome (back) to all !
    [attachment=0:15012snc]Andorian Hemp Cooperative.JPG[/attachment:15012snc]
    Well, the dust has settled after “5-5-2016” dropped, and as we expected it’s another full expansion, this time set in The Original Series era (2270). The expansion features Walter Koenig, the actor who portrayed Pavel Chekov in the original show, and Chris Doohan, the son of James Doohan, who will voice his father’s character engineer Montgomery “Scotty” Scott. Chase Masterson will also reprise her role as Mirror Leeta (“You haven’t seen the last of me!”).
    [attachment=2:15012snc]Mirror Leeta.jpg[/attachment:15012snc]
    These expansions are big money makers for Cryptic, so expect lots of goodies. I also expect the new Temporal Agent to mirror the previous Delta Recruitment event with similar account-wide rewards – Delta was quite lucrative for all my characters and hopefully the new one will be as well (simple ones like “Join a Fleet” and earn 50,000 fleet dilithium etc).

Just as an FYI for new players, STO will always have a free2play model, so you don’t have to spend a single $ or euro to enjoy the new content. We probably have to create at least one new “Temporal” Character to unlock the new content, similar to the previous Delta Event. Looking back, it’s best to just create the one extra, as leveling it will keep you busy enough – you can ofcourse create as many as you like.
    There will be more info coming in the next weeks, so stay tuned.

Any new character(s) will be stationed in the 44th Delta Fleet, but its fleet rank will be similar to your main – so if you’re a commander in the main fleet your level 1 temporal agent will instantly be commander too, with the usual fleet store unlocks. We’ll come back on this later.

Btw now is a good time to go and browse the exchange for good xp boosts and other gear (Plasmonic Leech) for future characters; no doubt prices will skyrocket, if they haven’t already.

As usual with new content, two packs will be offered, the Temporal Agent Starter Pack and the Temporal Special Agent Pack. Click the links for a look at the new TOS inspired ships.
    When the new expansion does go live there will be a discount in the first few weeks. They’re usually worth it in the long run, as the higher tier/fleet versions of the low level T1-T5 versions (which obviously will eventually be offered) will then be available as a considerable discount.
    But again, only worth it if you’re planning on sticking with STO for the rest of the year or so.

Taurus II has been mentioned, so no doubt we’ll be facing a version of these guys in ground combat. The Gorn already have a rock-thrower NPC so this is a no-brainer game-mechanic wise.

Speaking of ground, the Risa’s Summer Event will be next month; it usually starts the first week of June untill the second week of July (50 days). This is always an excellent way of completing Reputations, and hopefully this will coincide with the new Temporal Agent/expansion.

On the Fleet, we’re completing some ‘nice to have’ projects in Fed Main and KDF, and we’ll start unlocking higher tier facilities on Delta Fleet soon – so if we’ll earn some good Fleet dilithium (which btw will reward normal Fleet Credits) we can have all the shiny stuff Delta side.
    [attachment=1:15012snc]K13.jpg[/attachment:15012snc]

We’ll keep you updated, so keep an eye on in-game chat.

As Damix reminded me, we have a full KDF Armada now; we have been joined by Raptor’s Nest and LGBT of the Empire. We’ll see if we can get them more involved but for now it just means more projects KDF side.

Also, the Crystalline Event will return 5/19 till 6/9 which will earn you Crystalline shards. After collecting 14 of them, you can complete a new Event Reputation project which rewards 50,000 Dilithium Ore, 500 Fleet Marks and 250 Marks of your choice. It’s really easy now with all those high-end builds, so this is a good farm run.

See you, out there 😎

P.S. Search for Soolin still has some left-over STUs. 😀

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

fatman592
    Fleet Member

@Marcase wrote:

Just as an FYI for new players, STO will always have a free2play model, so you don’t have to spend a single $ or euro to enjoy the new content.

I already converted 15k zen from my dilithium, all freely earned over the past year. 15k seems about right compared to the DR pack, so hopefully there are some power items in there that make the purchase worthwhile. If there’s nothing powerful in there, I’ll likely just buy the temporal ships. And hopefully make a nice profit converting my Zen back into dil in a 400+ market.

I am not a fan of TOS, and hate the aesthetic. But I’m happy it’ll bring players back for a time.

It takes some discipline (as in don’t impulse buy and absolutely do no throw resources at the money pit that is the upgrade system), at least 6 toons and focusing all resources on only one character. But you can have everything in game, totally free, with little effort (yay doffing and admiralty).

Anyway, great work as always admiral. I look forward to another potential free character, and running STFs with what should be garbage scowls in the 25th century.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

brimur
    Fleet Member

I must say I found it strange when I read Chris Doohan is doing Scotty. They are only getting him for his name. I mean his dad was Canadian and was putting on that accent pretending to be Scottish. Its not like Chris is Scottish and he has even said the accent is a choir

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

He played him in ST Continues, he does the character quite well imo, accent and everything.

For those who arent aware, Star Trek Continues tries to add to the TOS series, some episodes are quite good. http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

NathanGire

looking forward to be part of all the new stuff =)

speaking of delta… embassy research needs one minor project to be able getting updated to T3…

cya out there

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Yup, Delta Fleet is going as it goes, slowly but surely. With new alts coming we’ll have a new influx of resources.

—-

Lead designer Al “Capt. Geko” Riviera commented on the new expansion in the latest Priority One Podcast. There will be a blogpost coming once or twice every week, but this is what we know so far.

The new Agents of Yesterday is a TOS expansion with a new 2270 TOS-era starting experience with unique missions, meaning you need to create a new character to fully enjoy the new content.
    It’s similar to Legacy of Romulus so unless you’re a new player you can skip the usual walk/run/shoot tutorial and go straight to the good stuff.

TOS-era characters will technically be a new faction; they will have their own unique TOS-era story arc and unique maps and missions (and perhaps their own ESD-like K13 starbase ?).
    These new maps and missions and queues will also be available to your current characters, but although connected through missions, will not be able to play the unique ‘Agents’ content.

Agents of Yesterday is a Federation only expansion, meaning you cannot use a Klingon, Romulan, Bajoran or any other ‘modern’ alien. Only 2270-era characters; Earth, Vulcan, Andorian, Tellarite are the Big Four, representing the Federation founding races, with perhaps a handfull of unique extra ones. The Klingons (and these will be classic, smooth-forehead Klings) will be bad guys again; no Borg, Undine, Heralds or Iconians, but the Nakuhl will probably be involved (Enterprise Era).

There will be no T-6 Constitution. For now.
    A new fleet holding is a paper-project, and might go live next year.

You will be given an starter TOS ship, and a free character slot to create a new Agent and play the Agents of Yesterday expansion, even if you don’t buy either of the packs – Free2play is still core to STO.
    This new TOS-era character will unlock account-wide rewards, similar to the previous Delta Recruitement event.

A Tribble test period will be available about one 4-6 weeks before the expansion goes live.

In addition to the expansion, there will be even more to come, more big announcements – this will not be the only thing to celebrate Star Trek 50th anniversary.

Stay tuned.

KirksFavoriteSon
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Thanks for the update, Marcase!

Shaw

aka @CobaltBlueHero

fatman592
    Fleet Member

I’ll just leave this here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9956413

STO on console, more details to come.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

horridperson
    Fleet Member

Yeah apart from parentage Chris Doohan might not seem like much. It should be considered that he has portrayed Scotty in live action productions before and bears a pretty convincing similarity to his father. Give him a chance. I don’t think he got the job just because he is someone’s idiot kid.

Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

Excellent update post as always and much appreciated.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.