Rob Plays STO, or, What’s *She* Doing in the 25th Century?

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Holodeck Rob Plays STO, or, What’s *She* Doing in the 25th Century?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

Of course, that’s not the end of the fight, as more Klingons warp in. And we get a distress call from an unexpected source.

That’s not the greatest Uhura.

“The fucking Enterprise?  They want our help?  Let them know we’re on our way.”

The Enterprise is over in that Nebula, getting pounded by a Klingon battleship.

A utility cruiser like ours wouldn’t normally last two rounds against a battleship, but the Klingons are focusing their fire on the Enterprise as we approach.

“And that’s their first mistake.  Open fire!”

“Nice shot.  Keep the pressure on ’em!”

The Klingons belatedly return fire but at this point they’re caught between us and the Enterprise and they’re taking a pounding.

“Lackey?  Eat a bag of dicks, asshole.  I’m nobody’s lackey.”

But he doesn’t stick around to talk and warps out.

aka @acousticrob#2239

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

“You got it, Captain.”

Zoom!

aka @acousticrob#2239

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

We drop out of warp in Earth orbit.

You can just barely see Earth Spacedock in the distance there, it’s the little T-shaped thing.  Once we’re in transporter range Mel beams over.

“Sure, why the hell not?  Might as well rub elbows with some of the Federation’s rock stars.”

I can’t remember if we ever saw Spacedock during the series, but this is exactly what I would have expected it to look like.

There are some familiar faces hanging out at the bar.

Like Bones and Scotty here.  They must be arguing about whiskeys.  Scotch, or bourbon?  Pick your poison!

And there’s Scotty, he’s looking pretty much like himself.  Scotty in STO is voiced by Christopher Doohan, James Doohan’s son, and he does a pretty good impersonation of his old man.

“I look familiar?  I don’t think I’ve met you before….”

“I’ll definitely take you up on that offer, Scotty.  Can I call you Scotty?  Too late, I just did.”

aka @acousticrob#2239

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

That, on the other hand, is a lousy McCoy.

“Yeah, I bet Jim Kirk hates it when someone tells him what to do.”

Some of the junior officers are gathered around a nearby table.

That’s an…acceptable Chekov.

“Nobody can prove I was involved in any of that. That’s my story, and I’m sticking with it. But it was pretty great.”

Sulu’s looking OK also.

“Helm, nothing.  Some day I’ll command one!  Just watch and see.”

“Is that foreshadowing?  It sure feels like foreshadowing.”

I’m not saying.

“Asshole.”

aka @acousticrob#2239

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

Anyway, with the meet and greet over, we check back in with Garrett.

“Yeah?”

I can’t tell if this shot is blurry because of something in the game engine or if they’re spoofing the soft-focus close-up thing that Trek used to do.

They did it pretty much exclusively with female characters so it’s probably a flaw in the game engine.  Also notice how Garrett’s insignia badge has changed now that he’s Starbase staff.

“Hey, congrats.  Drinks are on you, then!”

“Who, me?”

Who, her?

“Shut up.”

I mean, Mears was the one who came up with the idea to electrify the hull. It was Tarsi’s idea to track the Taureans with your tricorders. I guess you did fly OK against when fighting that battleship, but still…

“Shut.  The fuck.  Up.”

aka @acousticrob#2239

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

“Your ship?  Oh, no.  It’s my ship now.”

Oh, god.

And then Spock walks through the door.

This speech is voiced by Leonard Nimoy, by the way–it’s pieced together out of bits of voice-over that he recorded before he died.  Unfortunately he sounds like creaky 80-year-old Nimoy instead of 35-year-old TOS Nimoy, but you can’t have everything.

Can I just say this is an embarrassingly bad Spock?  This is supposed to be a big moment but I was just cringing at how bad the model is. You’d think that for such a major character they’d have worked harder at getting him right.

Still, deep down inside Mel there is a little spark of idealism, so she doesn’t laugh him out of the room.

“May the force be with you, Spock.”

“I’m sorry?”

“Never mind.”

aka @acousticrob#2239

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

Spock leaves, and Garret gives us our first orders as commander of our very own starship.

“I can do that.”

First stop, the tailor.

“All right, two requests.”

“First, you can get me out of this goddamn minidress.  And then….”

“There we go.  Much better.”

aka @acousticrob#2239

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

“Um, Captain?  Permission to speak freely?”

“Go ahead, Tarsi.”

“Pink hair, Mel?  I mean, it looks good on you, but it’s not exactly regulation.”

“Female officers wearing pants are also not regulation.  Do you want to wear pants, Tarsi?”

“…Stars, yes.”

“Then go requisition yourself a pair of pants, Lieutenant, and let me style my hair the way I want.”

“Yes, sir.”

aka @acousticrob#2239

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

With that settled we go over to the shipyard.

Our ship is one of several that have been named after Joseph B. Smith, who was killed in action at the Battle of Hampton Roads.

“And it’s a good namesake, really.  But we can do better.”

“There we go!”

“Captain….”

“Zip it, Tarsi.”

And with all that squared away we head back to Garrett’s office.

“Born ready, Sir.  What do you need us to do first?”

What’s in store for Mel and the crew of the Patti Smith?  Find out…next time!  Might be tomorrow, might be a couple days later, I have a busy week coming up.

aka @acousticrob#2239

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Nice recall from the TOS launch. I initially liked how they kept the grainy film effect in the game, but I’m also glad they eventually removed it.

My inner ship-OCD does cringe seeing the empty ship loadout, but thankfully I now have hyposprays for that.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

My inner ship-OCD does cringe seeing the empty ship loadout, but thankfully I now have hyposprays for that.

I’m pretty sure there’s no way to get gear to a TOS character–I didn’t see any mailboxes or Exchange kiosks on old Earth Stardock, so you’re pretty much at the mercy of what drops.

aka @acousticrob#2239

Shohom
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Does the in-ship/in-shuttle account bank access work with TOS toons? If yes, then that may be a way to get gear to them in the early stages.

Having fun with this RP Rob. Waiting to see what happens with Mel🖖🏼😁

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Shohom.

The longest journey is the discovery of oneself

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

Well, I was going to continue this tonight but it looks like I had one link too many in my post and it went to moderation.  So I’ll pick it up again tomorrow.

aka @acousticrob#2239

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

Having fun with this RP Rob. Waiting to see what happens with Mel

Let’s get to it, then!

This mission is a callback to the TOS episode Arena.

“Cowboy diplomacy? Yippie-kai-yay, motherf–Admiral.”

It doesn’t take long to reach the Edren system.

Little beauty shot of the Patti Smith for you all.  We fly up and hail Captain McKinnon of the Zheng He.

She’s a science Captain!  I don’t think she’s wearing science pants, though.

“We’ll send a survey team down.  And keep an eye on the Gorn for you.”

“Steady as it goes, Tarsi.  Just fly casual.  We’ll be fine.”

I never got very close to the Zheng He, but it looks like this:

Pretty clunky, huh?  Apparently this was an early design for the Enterprise that got rejected.  For good reason.

We give her the go-ahead.

Scan scan scan scan scan.

aka @acousticrob#2239

Acoustic Rob
    Fleet Member
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019

“Go on.”

https://i.imgur.com/QtU4MvJ.jpg  “It’s a cloaked Romulan ship, isn’t it?”

Of course it’s a cloaked Romulan ship.  But you gotta play dumb, or else this episode will be over before the first commercial break.

https://i.imgur.com/QtU4MvJ.jpg  “Next time somebody else gets to carry the fucking idiot ball.”

No promises.

aka @acousticrob#2239

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.