Your First Memory of the 44th?

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge The Oasis Recreation Your First Memory of the 44th?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sargon
    Fleet Admiral
    Founder 44th Delta FleetTeam Player

i did not like the idea of having to join a fleet, but it looked like there was no choice. i joined a fleet ran by a guy named brian hughes, who is now part of JACC. i thought that fleet, brian’s fleet, was destroyed and consequently I joined the 44th i found on the big forum.

the first person i met in game was the great zippy. we ran IGE and i was so hopeful i would get the PSG prototype, but didnt’ and never did with the old prototype.

Also in that STF I met a young guy i thought at the time, but who was actually a girl i learned later….da kitten, if you all remember her. she was a good friend and often joined me for ground missions. she got in trouble and we never heard from her again.

Lat is great and when i created a KDF alt he really helped me out a lot. i hated to see him leave the game.

now with Intrepid moving on another chapter closes. I never thought i would play a game this long or meet so many strangers on-line that i now consider friends.

I have only met one member in real life….Code Warrior. I know if i was in his town i could let him know and meet for beer and pizza or something.

anyway i have a lot invested here in time, money and the people we socialize with here. I plan on keeping it going for as long as i can.

see you in game.

fatman592
    Fleet Member

I too balked at the idea of joining a fleet. I believe my path to joining the 44th started with a post to the big forum. It was to arrange some sort of payment for a set of Fleet Provisions I got from some lockboxes. I was PM’d by Lat a day or two later, the conversation showed me the instant value of being in a fleet. I said I needed dilithium but found it was hard to get. He mentioned Contraband, which up until that conversation I thought was vendor trash. I imagine Lat facepalmed so hard at hearing that I trashed contraband… well he informed me about security officers and the dil never stopped flowing from that day. I applied in quick order, gave the provisions as a token of gratitude just for that bit of knowledge.

The old guard educated me on Borg Bashing, when running STFs was a big part of the gameplay experience. Lat, Zippy, and Yuri were patient (like when I messed up a Terradome run), and helped improve my builds. To think, there was a time when I ran beams, cannons, one of any random ability… yes I was a noob too. Then later, Blackout and Marcase both gave build pointers when I returned to the game after a year off.

While I’ve taken breaks from the game, I have always found the 44th to be a great home for my characters. It’s great to have a fleet that has given so much and asked so little of me.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Back in late 2011 Latinumbar peaked my interest in the 44th, come to think of it.

I was looking at the official STO forum and got put off by the usual shenanigans there. His posts however were always to the point and usefull, so I decided to check out the 44th fleet. I wasn’t really looking for a fleet but more out of curiosity. I was impressed by the website as it looked (and still does) serious enough compared to other generic, almost AOL-looking formats. If a guild/fleet was willing to put time and effort in its own forum/website it meant to me a stable guild.

Just check out the level of forum quality and activity of some of our current Armada allies for comparison.

Now at the time, I vowed never to be part of a guild again. I used to play the heck out of a German FPS game called Söldner Secret Wars, and it was a lot of fun – and a lot of drama.
    In time I became a clan-admin there too but egos destroyed SSW. I lost a lot of money, wasted a lot of time and friends I met in real life – hailing from Belgium to Latvia and everywhere in between – all branched off to other interests.

In the 44th I made a lot of new online friends and besides Lat, Zippy and Grouchy, there was Cross, Akula, Yoav, Yuri and many more, and as they moved on I made a bunch of new ones here too – there are too many of you to list and I don’t want to wake-up and find a cannibal tribble in my bunk because I missed one :D.

Whenever I feel a bit of STO burn-out (yes, I hit that wall too sometimes) managing the fleet is what keeps me engaged.
    My personal life also changed back then, from working full-time out of the house to becoming a caretaker at home which gave me more time to spend behind a computer. Being online at various odd hours gave me the opportunity to assist Lat and from there the ball started rolling from being an ensign scrubbing the scrubbers to this gold-pressed latinum throne I sit on today.

I still feel I hit the jackpot with the 44th, because a number of other guilds I knew back then disappeared. Haven’t seen much of Orion, 7th, 101st and other fleets I was tempted to join and others became an elitist bunch which were boldly going nowhere.

I’d like to reiterate once more that, unlike popular belief (including my own), it’s not me running the fleet. Just because my name pops up A LOT on this forum, I could never do something like this alone. Shared leadership with Sargon and terrific support from Damix and Defcon, and assistance from Blackout and Fatman is the anchor that keeps us from drifting into that collapsing wormhole that ate and spit out so many other fleets. And let’s not forget Intrepid who stuck with us putting in the hours doing hard labour while not even playing STO anymore.
    We’re all gamers and that means we have a competite streak at some level and that usually means clashing egos. None so here.

We have a stable and prosperous fleet which has a good standing in STO – for over five years and counting – and I know your Command Staff will work hard to keep it that way.

I hope you guys and gals will join us on our voyage across the STO Universe.

Because I don’t have a map and I don’t want to get lost.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Cross82
    44th Fleet Oracle
    Team Player

My first memory of the fleet. being asked to join the fleet before the game was even out. I have been with the 44th from the start to now. I have made many many friends here and some are gone and some still around and i will make new friends as time goes on as well.

Vindleth
    Fleet Member

My first memory was of Marcase helping me transfer some money from one alt to another, before i had account bank. Will never forget that. Thanks agan dude.

I knew then that this was gonna ba a wonderful day i mean fleet.

CodeWarrior316
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

I joined the 44th, mostly because I was tired of hit/miss in STF queues. I quickly learned that I might have been contributing to the miss part, not due to lack of trying at least! There really wasn’t a lot of good help on the big board, mostly whiners or complete misinformation, etc. pretty much as it is today.

I didn’t have properly trained boffs, and had a nice mix of weapons and non-interrelated abilities. BFAW with 1 beam in the front and 1 in the back aint gonna do much lol. So funny how little a clue I had, but this site got me linked up with the right people and got me really doing some dps probably a whopping 4-5k in those days. I’m sure all the threads are still around here somewhere if you want to dig.

The starbase projects were really just started and the way to earn fleet marks were extremely limited, but you could farm them on defera so that’s what we did, especially for the KDF side. Over and over I guess that’s why I can do it in my sleep now lol.

defcon1776
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

I had done some searching on the big forum and after reading for some time, it had come down to the 10th Fleet and the 44th Fleet. And for me like others, Latinumbar’s posts were very helpful learning the game.

I’ve been here over 4 years now and I’m well pleased with my decision. There’s never really much drama but when we have drama, we have drama! 😯

I am honored to serve.

Inferno
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

I recall joining and spending the rest of the day running Borg STF’s. Badly, but everyone taught me how to do it better. In a week we were just rolling through them for marks, because at the time that’s all there was.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.