What other Sci-Fi shows you like besides Star Trek?

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge The Oasis Recreation What other Sci-Fi shows you like besides Star Trek?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sovereign47
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

So, as the name of this thread suggest I’m interested if you have watched some other Sci-fi shows besides Trek and wich of them you like the most.

For me besides Trek the second best show is Stargate (Atlantis is my favorite). And on the third place is Farscape (season 4 the best – reason: well I gues one word is enough – Sikozu :mrgreen: ).
    Besides those, I’ve seen Firefly which is also great, Battlestar Galactica (very good show with dark atmosphere) Falling Skies (decent post-apocalyptic show), Defiance (also good post-apocalyptic show), The Last ship (another so far so good post-apocalyptic show)…there’s probably much more, but these was the ones I could thought of.

Recently I started watching Babylon 5 too, and it seems promising so far despite the poor visual effects. Vorlons seem like a pretty cool race.

Now it’s your turn to write what are your favorite shows and why?

fatman592
    Fleet Member

Babylon 5 would be at the top of my list, second to TNG. Seasons 2-4 are fantastic. The Vorlons, Kosh really, are cool, but Morden and the Shadows are more interesting to me.

SG1, Atlantis, Space: Above and Beyond, Seaquest, Sliders, Treks, Firefly… there’s probably more I liked but can’t think of.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Babylon 5 still absolute on top, Dr Who, Star Trek (era depending on my mood), BSG old and new, Farscape, Firefly… the usual suspects.
    Very fond of Stargate Atlantis too – I always liken it to a pre-ENT era Star Trek. I even like Stargate Universe; real pity they cancelled that just when it seems to really take of.

I watch Defiance when I see it, but not really hooked enough to actively follow/record it.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

defcon1776
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Stargate up thru season 7.

@Colson
    Fleet Member

Firefly

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

X-Files is TV show I was really hooked on, my favorite after ST. Last one I watched (and liked it) was Continuum – there is supposed to be one last season to complete the story, this or next year.

Edit: New X-Files are coming!
    http://www.fox.com/the-x-files/article/the-next-mind-bending-chapter-is-coming

Sargon
    Fleet Admiral
    Founder 44th Delta FleetTeam Player

I like science fiction and have enjoyed all the shows above.

I was never really big on DS9 and I am surprised it is so popular with the fleet.

one I did not see mentioned above was Blake’s 7. I have always liked English shows, humor, etc.

the one show I can always watch and have for years: the original Star Trek.

fatman592
    Fleet Member

@Sargon wrote:

I was never really big on DS9 and I am surprised it is so popular with the fleet.

Don’t make the Prophets cry child, honor the Sisko.

If you have Netflix or another streaming service, it’s totally worth re-watching. The first couple seasons are pretty meh, better than 98% of Voyager, but still meh. Once Worf arrives and especially after they get the Defiant, the show really takes off. It’s the only Trek that successfully pulls off a multi-year story arc.

The show is full of wonderful secondary characters, notably: Garak, Martok, Nog, Grand Nagus Zek, Gul Dukat, Weyoun, Brunt, Eddington and Damar. In fact, it is the villains , including Captain Sisko, who define the show. The down sides include the Bajoran religiosity, the Maquis disappearance, a flat performance by Terry Farrel (Dax) and a rushed ending.

After TNG, DS9 is my second favorite Trek. I believe DS9 is the most critically acclaimed Trek to date. It also features CG space battles toward the end, so you get more of a modern feeling show when you watch it. It’s just so unlike any other Trek, and that’s what makes it great.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Sovereign47
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

@fatman592 wrote:

Babylon 5 would be at the top of my list, second to TNG. Seasons 2-4 are fantastic. The Vorlons, Kosh really, are cool, but Morden and the Shadows are more interesting to me.

SG1, Atlantis, Space: Above and Beyond, Seaquest, Sliders, Treks, Firefly… there’s probably more I liked but can’t think of.

Yes, now that I’m almost finished with B5 I can say that it is one of my top 5 shows. And yes, Shadows are very interesting too, but when I saw movie Thirdspace, those aliens called Harbingers became my favorite (yes, it has something to do with Lovecraftian monsters and Cthulhu :mrgreen: ). Too bad they weren’t used anymore.

@Marcase wrote:

Babylon 5 still absolute on top, Dr Who, Star Trek (era depending on my mood), BSG old and new, Farscape, Firefly… the usual suspects.
    Very fond of Stargate Atlantis too – I always liken it to a pre-ENT era Star Trek. I even like Stargate Universe; real pity they cancelled that just when it seems to really take of.

I watch Defiance when I see it, but not really hooked enough to actively follow/record it.

Yes, it is said how SGU ended, and while I don’t think it’s possible anymore, I still have a little hope that in the future they might continue it’s story. I would be satisfied with two more season, and perhaps even with one to wrap things up properly.

Razarth
    Fleet Member

I grew up watching Babylon 5 and Star Trek: TNG.

They would be my top sci-fi shows that I would enjoy watching; other shows that I’ve caught would be the redone Battlestar Galatica — I liked it a lot, despie other peoples complaints and concerns. I liked watching FireFly too until it got canceled.

I would of liked to get into Voyager and DS9, but I have not been able to bring myself to do so. I binge watched Enterprise; which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Stargate series is another series I can’t bring myself to get into….they just don’t seem to draw my attention.

Sovereign47
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

@Razarth wrote:

I grew up watching Babylon 5 and Star Trek: TNG.

They would be my top sci-fi shows that I would enjoy watching; other shows that I’ve caught would be the redone Battlestar Galatica — I liked it a lot, despie other peoples complaints and concerns. I liked watching FireFly too until it got canceled.

I would of liked to get into Voyager and DS9, but I have not been able to bring myself to do so. I binge watched Enterprise; which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Stargate series is another series I can’t bring myself to get into….they just don’t seem to draw my attention.

DS9 is a great series which I strongly recommend to watch. Ok, first two season are not the best and brightest of ST franchise, but from season 3 things are starting to get really good and there’s a lot of action and large scale fleet battles which are always great (like the ones in B5). Besides DS9 has some specifically good individual episodes like ”In the Pale Moonlight”, ”Trials and Tribble-ations”, ”Homefront” and ”Paradise Lost”… Also, DS9 has one of the best characters depicted in ST franchise and that includes recurring characters. So it is really worth watching.

Voyager on the other hand may not be as good as DS9, but it still has it’s qualities and good characters. And that whole plot of traveling through entire unknown area of space is kind of exciting and interesting.

As for the Stargate, I would say that it’s pretty much the same thing like it was with DS9. First seasons are somewhat slow and uneventful, but with time show develops some great villains and we get to know and start to like protagonists better than we did at first. The best show in SG franchise for me is Atlantis, while many others worship SG-1 which is the very first show. But both shows are great in their own ways, including the third show which is Universe. Unfortunately, due to it’s premature cancellation Universe never really managed to develop further and cannot be really compared to other two shows, but it surely had a lot of potential.

Anyways, recently we just got some new SF shows like Dark Matter and Killjoys which haven’t been out for long, but for me they are promising so far. What do you think of them?

Lhivera
    Fleet Member

The original Star Trek had been off the air for only a few years when I started catching it in reruns, That, the original BSG, the ~1980 Buck Rogers, the Twilight Zone, the Outer Limits, and the fourth Doctor were my introductions to television SF. (Of course, Star Wars was in the mix as well.)

Since then, there have been too many to reliably recollect. B5 was a favorite (and for the time, the FX were pretty darn good, though the art style was very different from TNG). Farscape was very much a favorite, I never got hugely into Stargate; watched a lot of it, but mainly just to pass time, not because I was super into it. I had hoped for more from SGU; John Scalzi was creative consultant, and officiated at my wedding, so I was really hoping for the best for his sake. But it really felt like SyFy (ugh, that name) was trying to pull in Stargate fans with the name and BSG Redo fans with the atmosphere, and it didn’t come off well.

I’ve heard excellent things about Orphan Black, and want to give that a try.

Loce
    Fleet Member

Stargate SG1 + Atlantis, Farscape, Firefly and of course Dr. Who, but i appreciate almost every sci-fi series out there.

I find sci-fi a mind-opening experience, unlike many other brainless tv series (some of which might as well be a guilty pleasure), it encourages my imagination to go wild.

Xargh@bdunaway67
    Fleet Member

Some of my favorites are…

Battlestar Galactica
    Babylon 5
    Farscape, deserved more seaons
    Defiance is a decent show.
    Terminator the Sera Conner Chronicles – I hate you Fox Television!
    My #1 though, as many would agree, is of course FireFly. Over a decade and I’m still grieving.

Now an age check. 🙂

who remembers the original Battlestar Galactica or Space 1999. Saturday mornings always began with Land of the Lost.

IMO TV is lacking for quality SCIFI. They can do more now than ever, yet choose to do less.

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

I enjoyed Space 1999 first season, the second season was more of a “we’ll battle another alien monster of the week”. I enjoy watching old(er) scifi shows just for the retro and the whole view people imagined on the future (which is our present!) 😀

I remember bits and pieces of this scifi show called “Star Maidens” (which was called “Women Planet Medusa” here), had the same Space 1999 art and style(ish), and a creepy robot-doctor that made me hide under the covers. http://www.animus-web.demon.co.uk/maidens/index.htm

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.