The Free T6 TFO's issue

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck The Free T6 TFO's issue

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Ken, it really depends on what you like to fly. I can suggest several ships (even if just for the trait) but the suggested one(s) may just not be your cup of Tea-Earl-Grey-Hot.
    Heck, it might be even a good idea to choose a ship that’s opposite of your usual choice – live dangerously ! You might just get a ship you didn’t knew you loved.

But just as a general note, consider picking a ship that’s cross-faction – say the Temporal (Ouroborous) or Cardassian Intel ships. This way your (future) alts regardless of faction can enjoy them, even if just as an admiralty card.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Well, to be honest if I could go back to day one. I would play just Klingons or KDF Aligned, LoL sorry Star Fleet – I just cannot get into it. Not sure why I made a Romulan/Alien (a video if I remember right) and aligned him with Star Fleet, but I hardly play him anymore.

As far as type, I am not sure there I am still learning, I do enjoy the faster ships like Raiders (used to play a lot of Red Baron), and the Vanguard D. Cruiser is fun BUT it “feels” so slow, but that Ouroborous looks fun 🙂 so thanks for posting that, I was just looking for ideas.

I know it is my choice, LoL and I know next week I will find some other ship that catches my eye.

aka @sgtken60 "AKA Grumpy Old Klingon/Andorian

RAMJB
    Fleet Member

Well, I don’t know about the background of you guys in what regards to F2P games, but what’s me I’ve had extensive experience with the huge money thefts that are WarGaming and Gaijin.

Besides those Cryptic seems to me, after a couple months being here, the very incarnation of generosity made software gaming development company. Honestly ,my only gripe with them is the redunculously low 8000 dil per day (or 8500 in a fleet, I don’t care) given the cost of endgame stuff. Here you can play endgame content without feeling an absolute stinker with free stuff only (hey I did that for almost a week until I decided I was going to stay for good and got my odyssey T6 pack).

On those…well I’m not going to describe their practices or how they define the term of “free to play”, but let me tell you, playing a 20-25 minute TFO per day for a couple months giving you whatever ship you want from the store, compared with the absolutely ludicrous things you have to do on those games to get “premium” vehicles which aren’t even endgame at all, in the rather rare occasions those are given away…yeah, well. Oh and on top of that Wargaming is borderline OK as a developer but Gaijin is an absolute disgrace both when it comes down to destroy their own game, lie to their players, and take all the money they can off them while they’re at it.

So yeah, let’s say myself am very happy with what I’m seeing around here…

aka @ramjb#3492

BreakingForce
    Fleet Admiral
    Team Player

Yes, heck I think there should be a way to earn Loot boxes Keys for free, will it happen?

for the record, you totally can. they’re available on the exchange for ec, which is earned ingame for free (well, not really. it costs your time…but no monies).

my biggest ec income is from a daily run of Tour the Galaxy. it’s a mission that has you visit (read as: bump into on the sector map) a bunch of systems, and for every system you hit, you get like 25000 ec. if you complete it all within the time limit, it’s like 900k ec. per character you run it on, per day.

you can also level up your r&d skills, and craft stuff to sell on the exchange for ec. finding what sells well can sometimes be a challenge (i still have like 2 characters at their exchange limit (40 sales posted) with all vr particle generator consoles)…but there are certainly things which sell well. upgrades, for example: i’ve never had an issue selling out of tech upgrades.

further, as a 44th fleet member, you can refine 8500 dilithium ore per character per day. 8000 from clicking the button in the assets tab of your inventory, and a further 500 with a 10s doff assignment at the fleet dilithium mine. that adds up rather faster than you might expect. then, you can convert your refined dilithium to zen…which you can use on the c-store as you see fit; whether you want to buy t6 ships from there, or buy lockbox keys with which to unlock your lockboxes…depending on what ship(s) you want and where they’re from.

the big challenge here is keeping your characters with a big enough stash of dilithium ore that you can sustain the refining. you can earn dilithium ore from running random tfo’s (random tfo’s drop a reward box in addition to your normal tfo rewards that gives you 500-2500 dil ore and 50-250 reputation marks depending on what rarity level of reward box you get. advanced tfo’s give 700-3500 dil ore and 70-350 rep marks again depending on what rarity level of reward box). you can earn dil ore fairly well through the admiralty system (each admiralty faction gives a big daily “tour of duty” mission, numbered 1-10. if you progress through the klingon and ferengi faction tracks, the 10th tour of duty mission for both of those gives 30000 dil ore on completion. so if you can keep at that, that’s 60000 dil ore every 10 days.) also, there’s a daily mission at the fleet research lab that gives you 1000+ dil ore and like 6000 r&d experience for whichever r&d skill you want. it takes some green materials, but only takes 10s of time to complete. also, reputation marks and elite reputation marks can be turned in to their respective reputations for packages of dil ore. 50 regular marks gets you 500 dil ore. 3 elite marks gives you 1000 dil ore. (elite marks are those items (which go into your main inventory) that completing an advanced tfo gives you. for example: the gamma task force reputation’s elite mark is the germanium carapace fragment, and they’re earned (well, there are a few ways to get them, but i’ma just tell you this one. more info upon request :D) by completing the Swarm tfo, which is tied to that rep.)

yeah, i understand that this all takes gametime you might not have available. that’s fine. just putting it out there that you can, in fact, get lockbox keys (and therefore lockbox ships (rarely, it must be said), and lobi ships) with no monetary investment in the game.

BreakingForce
    Fleet Admiral
    Team Player

Well, to be honest if I could go back to day one. I would play just Klingons or KDF Aligned, LoL sorry Star Fleet – I just cannot get into it. Not sure why I made a Romulan/Alien (a video if I remember right) and aligned him with Star Fleet, but I hardly play him anymore.

As far as type, I am not sure there I am still learning, I do enjoy the faster ships like Raiders (used to play a lot of Red Baron), and the Vanguard D. Cruiser is fun BUT it “feels” so slow, but that Ouroborous looks fun 🙂 so thanks for posting that, I was just looking for ideas.

I know it is my choice, LoL and I know next week I will find some other ship that catches my eye.

it’s cool. nobody’s perfect. the kdf fleet needs folks in it as well :D.

you might consider checking out battlecruisers.

when i say “battlecruisers”, i mean ships that are comparitively small, maneuverable cruisers. they typically have a 5 fore/3 aft weapon layout. the specific one i’d point you at first (if you’re maining klingon) is the Kurak Battlecruiser.

even if you don’t really like the play for that particular ship, if you do most of your damage with energy weapons like i do, the starship trait you can unlock from it is amazing. very nice to have for anyone who shoots lazers at things. practically a must-have for anyone who runs a drake build. (not gonna inflate the post with a full description, but am happy to tell you all about it either ingame, in another post, or in discord). Emergency Weapon Cycle

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Yup, what BreakingForce said 😉

Other things that sell well is contraband that you can farm with your KDFs by buckets – and with farming I mean just clicking doff (Marauder) missions in space for 5 mins, that’s easy ec right there.

My main income source is still running Tau Dewa patrols, just because I like shooting stuff. Doing them on Adv and with decent gear you can get plenty of rare/blue and sometimes purple crap to sell – at the proper social zone vendor and not just discarding them. This gives me 3-400,000 ec after several runs when I’m testing my builds anyway, so that’s a nice extra.

Also you get extra ec by just running Reputation Daily/hourly missions; you invest about 7,500 ec but the loot you get nets you ~20K ec (except for the Competitive Rep ones). So doing all hourly reputations doesnt just advance your level, but earns you ec and dilithium.
    And lets not forget the Armada/Doff system.

So basically just doing enough clickies you can make 1 mil ec – just needs time and some effort. Cryptic did lament one time that the Admiralty rewards are a little too generous 😉

All this chasing ec and dilithium shouldn’t however overshadow the fact that this is still a game to be enjoyed, and not farmed to death. I know of quite a few players who do nothing more than play the exchange. You can make millions of ec in game, but if you dont spend it then what’s the point 🙂

Long story short, STO is very generous and welcoming to Free2players, it’s basically a time vs money deal. You want shiny stuff *now* you pay real $. If you have time to play you get the cool stuff eventualy.

As someone who has most of the nice toys earned in game since I’m F2P sine 2012, I’m not complaining.^^

BreakingForce
    Fleet Admiral
    Team Player

All this chasing ec and dilithium shouldn’t however overshadow the fact that this is still a game to be enjoyed, and not farmed to death. I know of quite a few players who do nothing more than play the exchange. You can make millions of ec in game, but if you dont spend it then what’s the point 🙂

also very very true. if you don’t have the time to put into farming stuff (or just would rather do other stuff in the game instead), and also don’t have the $ to throw at the game in return for shinies, that’s

FINE.

a well-built t5u ship (or even an ok-built t6 ship, since i know you already have at least one), is acceptable for clearing 95% of the content a player will encounter (unless you’re trying to push for dps records or the like). you might die a bit more often in advanced tfo’s, but that’s

FINE.

we’re happy to help with many things (if we’re around, anyhow). tfo’s. episode missions. advice. pretty much whatever. let us know what you need, and chances are that it’ll happen. most of us vets aren’t still playing sto because the game is the best thing ever. we play because we like the people who also play the game. we want everyone to get better. the best way to get better is to learn. the best way to learn is to ask. we’re happy to answer (most of the time).:)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by BreakingForce.
    SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Okay, I sorry if came off as complaining with the “Free Key” post, I should of put “earnable key”. I very happy with STO and most of the ways they do stuff. It is 1000% better (IMO) than the way Wargaming handles World of Warships.

And thanks to the link for the Kurak. And all the advice Marcase and BreakingForce, I know I am not the most vocal member of the Fleet, and there is 2000+ things I need to learn, but I do have my reasons why I am this way and do things the way I do.

Later

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Nothing wrong with that, in time it will be your job to act as all – knowing fleet oracle 🙂

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

all – knowing fleet oracle 🙂

LoL me? Nope, do not get me wrong you gals and guys have taught me a lot so far just from me just reading chat. So I do feel like I am learning, but me a oracle LoL no, no.

I think this would be said I am more like this quote “Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no“.

So no were close to being a Oracle – LoL

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by SgtKen60.

Anukis
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Hey Ken!

There are some true true nuggets of oracular wisdom in these replies 🙂

As for Romulans and Aliens… well… Roms have very strong BOffs gifted to them free gratis (extra critcrit) and Aliens get an extra personal ground/space trait (10 instead of 9… very handy)… so there’s that. And both can be KDF or KDF-aligned. So there’s that, too.

And I’ll add my voice too… if you need help with anything, tap me up anytime.

aka @Nubia

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Anukis sure if we are on at the same time. But I have always be a little hesitant asking for help and I have been trying to get out of that habit. So I normally pick on Marcase for help LoL.

But as I have told Marcase, I have been a Lone Wolf a long time and I know I do not need to be this way in this type of Fleet.

But I have doing for so long I do not even think about asking, I just jump into the game and go for it so sometimes I hitting my head repeatedly on the Gaming Wall of Learning – LoL.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by SgtKen60.

Anukis
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

We’re all on the same team, mate… and this is the best group of helpful nutbags in the most fetching spacesuits evar! 😀

aka @Nubia

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

As for Romulans and Aliens… well… Roms have very strong BOffs gifted to them free gratis (extra critcrit) and Aliens get an extra personal ground/space trait (10 instead of 9… very handy)… so there’s that. And both can be KDF or KDF-aligned.

After thinking about it and looking some of my posts on STO Forums, it was a YouTube video that caused me to pick Romulan/Alien for the reasons stated. But my 1st Captain was a TOS Human Engineer, but when I got booted out of TOS time line I lost interest, and he got deleted.

What I would really love to see is a Independent Faction come into the game, were though the story/quest line your Commander can pick a path where they become a Trader, Pirate, Rebel, etc.

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Copy that, I “hit you up” you one of these times. BUT Spoiler Alert! I do not say much in chat, bit of a slow typist. And voice or discord is a maybe depending on the time of the day/night.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.