STO to consoles

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck STO to consoles

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Putting this topic here for future info and updates.

ARC’s announcement STO coming to Xbox1 and PS4.

A link to Priority One Podcast 270 – STO Console Launch with Maria “Zeronius Rex” Rosseau.

Some takeaway notes;
    -The console and PC versions of STO will be on seperate servers, so won’t be able to play together.
    -New content will go live on the consoles perhaps a month after the PC launch.
    -You cannot port over your PC account to a console version, you have to start from scratch (which killed console-STO for me).
    -You cannont move your Gold account over to the console versions (as of yet).
    -Need an X-box paid account to play (free) STO.

Lot’s of unknowns still.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

horridperson
    Fleet Member

That’s a lot of no sell; Particularly the lack of crossover and the dread of being roped into XBOX live.

From the PC side of the fence I think we are fortunate the servers won’t be merged. Foundry may be neglected but I’d wager it won’t exist on the console side at all. I’d also be really uncomfortable changing my control systems so radically. I experimented with my gamepad at one point and it was awful and uselss. A gamepad is pretty nice for Champions but STO has too many complexities.

Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

Well, I see this after talking about it in game. I don’t mind starting up another character. I knew servers would be split, which doesn’t put me off outside of not playing with the fleet. But I have a friend that got to “taste” the game and loved it, just no PC to run it. So I will have him to play with.

My only hope is that they will cater to the Lifetime members when the game releases. Not that I use too many of the items from the perks, but it’d be nice.

Either way I’m going to give it a go. I really hope the control scheme is simple. Time with it will tell if I stick to it or not. My PC character won’t be going anywhere and doubt I will let dust settle on it. Too much investment, nearly $700 easy for the ships and the lifetime.

@Jamesmaxwell
    Fleet Member

Lets not forget, you also have to pay for PSN too in order to play any online games. So STO on console with the fact you cant use your PC account on the consoles, plus paying for online fees for both XboxLive and PSN, is a big turn off for me, especially since I have a Lifetime membership on STO, only cuz I got it at the time they were doing the pay2play before switching back to free2play with tons of ingame purchases. I wont deny, I did buy a year long PSN membership, only cuz I do sometimes play CoD…sometimes…and Elder Scrolls Online, but with all that packed away, I feel like I wasted money 🙁

Oh well, with me going active duty and likely stationed somewhere with all the housing and utilities paid for by the military, I suppose I could buy another year with PSN, unless they got a lifetime somewhere. I know something like that costs a lot but technically you would be saving money in the long run.

Still, unable to port main account from PC to console, especially if you DO have lifetime sub, AND must pay for Xbox Live and PSN in order to play online, still bogus imo but meh. At least its not like some other mmo games on console, where you have to pay XboxLive and PSN in order to play any online game, AND pay for the mmo’s pay2play subs…now THAT’S dumb, imho.

Yup, I made this 😛

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Here’s the main thing I have about this console porting; people that want(ed) to play STO already do. The game is 6 years old, and anyone who really wanted to play it already has because it’s unlikely their current PC wouldn’t support it.

So those that will give console-STO a try will be seasoned console gamers, not Trekkies (fair to say they are already in-game) and those who are triggered by the coming TV series and movie(s).
    I’m not sure they will be as forgiving as we have been – and still are – with a 6-year old game, even with the announced graphical improvements.

So I honestly don’t think console-STO will live long and prosper, especially since the console patches and updates will be month(s) behind the PC version. Maybe if STO’s 3D option will be marketed agressively and be fully utilised.

The good thing about this is the mentioned graphical improvements which will be ported back to our PC version, so it’s not all bad. 😀

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

You know, I was thinking. A control scheme like Neverwinter would be awesome and enjoyable. It’s one thing I’ve always liked about that game. Just a handful of commands.

fatman592
    Fleet Member

One reason I might consider creating a STO console account would be to PvP. Fresh start, even playing field, but I have mechanical knowledge. Mk X common tets, quantum, on a BoP with sci spam will ruin most builds – at least for a few months. No way to get space rich in PvP though, so meh.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.