Star Trek: Discovery Series Revealed At Comic Con

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Star Trek: Discovery Series Revealed At Comic Con

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    KirksFavoriteSon
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

For those who haven’t seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxba2WjlN90

I’m not at all loving the ship design, but I’m still curious to see the show.

Rumor mill says the show will be set between the time of Kirk, and the time of Picard, but there has been no official word on this, as yet.

If true, that time period would give Discovery about a hundred year timespan in which to tell stories.

The producers have confirmed that the series is set in the original (“Prime”) Star Trek universe, and not the JJ Abrams (“Kelvin”) alt-universe.

It’s also been confirmed that Netflix will be distributing the show internationally, beyond the US and Canada, for those who want to see the show beyond North America.

That’s all,

Cheers,

Shaw

aka @CobaltBlueHero

CodeWarrior316
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

The current viewing options simply mean that I will not be able to watch it via legitimate means. Way to go CBS.

fatman592
    Fleet Member

My first reaction to the ship was negative. However, after I’ve looked at the ship teaser multiple times, it’s growing on me.

Maybe it’s just our current story line in STO, but I feel like the Discovery will be a ship constructed in the future to go back in time to play timecop in the era between ENT and TOS. Make that a period that’s essential to the Cold War, and boom, could be compelling.

Also, the theories about the Discovery being a joint KDF-Fed ship seems to make sense. The secondary hull shape is vaguely klingon, but also is a Starfleet Icon. The music is also Klingonish.

In any event, I’ll give this some support, unless it lets me down.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

Can’t say I’m a fan of the ship design either. 🙄

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

It’s all basically Ralph McQuarrie’s concept art from the 1970s (!), to the letter;

[attachment=2:1bueah4l]6082339_orig.jpg[/attachment:1bueah4l]
    [attachment=1:1bueah4l]9001256_orig.jpg[/attachment:1bueah4l]
    [attachment=0:1bueah4l]9793024_orig.jpg[/attachment:1bueah4l]

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Stone Gold
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Not sure if I am going to like this. You would figure they would build a better ship than that for this show. The ship looks like one from before Kirk’s time, like when they first started building space ships. Codewarrior, you could install KODI on your computer and watch it for free (hehehehe). I will see when this comes out if I can get it on KODI and then I will let you all know. Just watched Central Intelligence with Kevin Hart and Dewayne Johnson the other night on it and it is still in theaters. Let me research and I will let you all know.

KirksFavoriteSon
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

An Update …

Turns out Star Trek: Discovery will not be set between Kirk’s time and Picard’s time after all — according to showrunner Bryan Fuller — but he’s not saying a lot about what the series will involve.

For what Fuller does say, you can read the interview at the link below.

http://www.moviefone.com/2016/06/23/bryan-fuller-star-trek-interview/

Cheers,

Shaw

aka @CobaltBlueHero

Vindleth
    Fleet Member

my only comment is: STD

Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

My dad called me the other day……he’s reason? To only ask if I had seen the ship for the new show and how horrible of a job they did with it. haha 😆

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

Ship design will make more sense once we learn more about the story. Do we know why were those concept images made back in 70s?
    Not the fan, maybe I need to rewatch the trailer.

horridperson
    Fleet Member

From what I know of the sketches these were preproduction drawings for Enterprise Phase 2. The show never happened and the drawings by Ralph McQuarrie (of Star Wars fame) were rejected. The primary hulllooks like a Star Deatroyer with a saucer and nacelles slapped on. Looks like shit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.