Non-game Question for my fellow Veterans (or anyone else)

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge The Oasis Recreation Non-game Question for my fellow Veterans (or anyone else)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Well this morning while eating my breakfast, I as watching this video clip. So the Question: If you had the chance to take out this ship would you do it?

For me the answer is “HELL YES”!

The Clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwVQ7M5IFt8

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by SgtKen60.

aka @sgtken60 "AKA Grumpy Old Klingon/Andorian

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Sure, I would “take it out” with one of these 😀 –

Walrus class

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

LoL Marcase 07

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Okay let me rephrase that question: If your unit/ship was needed and they asked to help, would you?

Again for me the answer is yes, even at 59yrs young if my ship(s) needed me I would answer the call.

Paradoxical
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

Jump back on an Aircraft Carrier and work on super high-tech electronic parts from jet aircraft? Um, yes! I’m not sure I would like the “politics” the services have these days, but if the homeland was in trouble, sign me up asap.

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Yeah I know what you mean there, here were I am security at there are quite a few Navy vets, the newest just got out a few months ago. He told how PC it is now, BUT still if my homeland needed me, I would be there.

My Mom’s Uncle Kenny (I am named after him), he was a 30yr Vet of the USN, join before WWII and was there on 12/7/41 at Pearl Harbor, it was the same way for him, it changed a lot before he retired. I have been a security officer for close 20yrs, but I am still a USN Sailor, and I only did 8yrs and I will be one until I meet Davie Jones 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by SgtKen60.

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Well I switched from navy to army in the ’90s, and spend most of my then-career there, so officially I’m still on the reserves list for the Royal Neth. Army and can be recalled (be it for war or a natural emergency). Would I hesitate ? Of course not 🙂

PS I also moved this topic to our off-topic Oasis Recreation – from now on we will be moving non-fleet, non-sto stuff here again. Just to keep the place nice and tidy.^^

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Yeah I think a lot of Vets would stand up for the “homeland”. My Family has fought for the USA, since the American Civil War and before that for Scotland.

P.S. Move: I thought I place it there, sorry about that Skipper 07

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Speaking of navy ships/carriers, found this an interesting size comparison.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Paradoxical
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

Nice. The ship I served on was the only in her class and is now sadly being scrapped.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65)

Wally
    Fleet Member

I would answer the call if asked, though as a Marine I never served aboard a ship. I once toured the U.S.S Ranger while it was docked in San Diego in 1991, and toured a Los Angeles class attack sub while it was docked at Whites Beach in Okinawa, Japan.

aka @elf8907

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Nice. The ship I served on was the only in her class and is now sadly being scrapped. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65)

Yeah I know the feeling, mine sets in Philly waiting – http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/02/02117.htm

That is why I just HAD to name my Paladin the USS El Paso 🙂

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

I would answer the call if asked, though as a Marine I never served aboard a ship.

Thanks for your Service Marine, from a old Gator Navy Sailor 🙂 07

Andy Reed
    Fleet Member

As an Army combat vet (Iraq) I can tell you that I would not hesitate to jock up and jump in to anything if I thought my country in was in danger.  Every veteran I know is the same way, and I think it’s one of those things where once you’ve experienced that level of sacrifice and personal honor from serving, you feel an obligation for the rest of your life to be ready to make a stand for your country.  When Admiral Yamamoto spoke to the foolhardiness of invading America because there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass, I think that is even more pertinent today that it was in the 1940s.  I think that’s why veterans watch that Battleship scene and it resonates so much with us, because we would show up whether they wanted us to or not.

For me it’d have to be a ground war, though.  I don’t do ships- I have severe motion sickness.  I’m like Ralph Wiggum – “Principal Skinner, I got carsick in your office”

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Andy Reed.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.