Can’t post threads with links in them

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Engineering Can’t post threads with links in them

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chanfron
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Now the second post I have made on here that has disappeared or says “you cannot replay to this post” and then does not show up, I just created a thread in main deck, got the error, went back in my browser and removed the link and reposted and It appeared ok, edited post and put link in and now its disappeared. Other post was in Oasis

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Chanfron.
    Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

you may have to copy/paste the link in a plain .txt editor or something first, just to get the ‘clean’ hyperlink without any hidden characters or something. Not sure, just spitballing here.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

palcioz
    Chief Engineer

We unfortunately have to be pretty careful about spam since the website allows just about anybody to sign up and start posting in the public areas of the forum.  I can see four posts from you in the moderator queue.  Do you want me to approve them or just forget about them?

Chanfron
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

I have posted links before with no issue, last one was 4 months ago, you can delete them all as they are no longer required.

Don’t know If you can change the error message it gives to say post contains a link and requires moderator approval or something like that, the existing error message is confusing.

Thanks

Phoenix
    Fleet Admiral
    Fleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Hi Chanfron. I think this only happens for the public lounge forum areas.  So it may not happen if you post to a secured forum area.  There was also a recent WordPress update (the management system used for the website), which may have added extra layers of security. To help with this, we (and by we, I mean Palcioz) added a function to flag the admirals list when a post is pending moderation, so we should get notified if it happens in the future. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused for you though.

aka @phoenix#6622

Chanfron
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Ok, thanks for the info, I suspect its the wordpress update that has caused it as the last thread with a link I posted was in a Public area, The Main Deck, main problem is the error message it throws up, it implies there has been an error with the post or that the user is blocked from posting in some way.

Error message really needs to say post has to be moderated or sent for approval to a Mod but don’t know if that is possible.

Will try posting something with a link in secure area to see if works.

Thanks

Chanfron
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Posting link in secure area resulted in same thing, took screenshot to show, attached the image as don’t know if inserting the image would cause the same issue.

This is what you get after hitting submit

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Chanfron.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Phoenix
    Fleet Admiral

Yeah, so any changes in the update must have disabled unrestricted links in the secure area too, but we did get the notification about the post waiting moderation.  We’ll look into seeing if the message that the author gets can be changed to reflect that, but at least the notification will be posted so that all of the admirals can see now.  Once you post a link, someone should see it and it will probably get added to the forum within 24 hours.  Links can also be posted on Discord as well, without needing moderator approval.

aka @phoenix#6622

Phoenix
    Fleet Admiral

Also, thanks @Chanfron for bringing this to our attention!

aka @phoenix#6622

palcioz
    Chief Engineer

(moved this to Main Engineering, where website issues belong)

I’ve tweaked the moderation filter a bit — we’ll see if this solves the issue without leaking more spam through.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.