Boff Training Revamp Incoming

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Boff Training Revamp Incoming

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    fatman592
    Fleet Member

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9052733

Essentially it’s a way to monetize Boff powers and training. It seems training is tied to Specialization trees (current and future) as well as Crafting (crafting manuals using R&D mats + dil). It seems like profession restrictions may be a thing of the past. Also, fast switching of learned abilities will be nice (in theory, looking at you loadout system).

With all the changes made with DR, I’m feeling dubious about this. No doubt the system needed to be overhauled, however it seems they’re gating powers behind the xp/dil/crafting grinds. I’m always happy to have more stuff to play with under the hood. The build possibilities with an ever expanding list of powers is interesting.

As long as costs/grinds aren’t on the scale of the upgrade system just to train Grav Well 3, I’d be happy.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

@Colson
    Fleet Member

Wonder if you will be able to upgrade the quality of a Boff.

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

I wonder if this will also effect the innate racial skills of Boffs, eg the Romulan Embassy boffs with unique superior subterfuge etc. I wouldn’t mind having a few of those with Intel powers…

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

fatman592
    Fleet Member

@Marcase wrote:

I wonder if this will also effect the innate racial skills of Boffs, eg the Romulan Embassy boffs with unique superior subterfuge etc. I wouldn’t mind having a few of those with Intel powers…

I think this is part of the reason why they’re doing it, in addition to it being a solid monetization strategy. But I see traits being slottable/unslottable like Captain traits now.

Anyway, here’s a fair breakdown of the Arc post: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21614051&postcount=293

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Thanks for the link, food for thought.

It all kind of reminds me of the whole kit revamp system, with slottable traits instead of the old ‘fixed abilities’ kits; you can now slot universal Intel abilities in Eng or Sci kits etc. Might be going that way with the new Boff traits. Or I could be understanding it all wrong 😀

Wait and see, and start saving dili / zen because it’s going to cost one way or the other. ^^

Sargon
    Fleet Admiral
    Founder 44th Delta FleetTeam Player

Delta Rising for me has not been all bad or all good. the high cost of training kind of slows things down for me. i refuse to use real cash to advance my upgrades or crafting.

now more cost is added to craft boff skills. basically what i am doing to manage this from a cost perspective is to:

1 stop playing alts except for light farming
    2 on my main use fewer ships (probably 3 will be the limit)
    3 use less variety of gear, for example, tac consoles
    4 plan on making most efficient use of boffs (use as few as possible)

i don’t know if cryptic intended for me to make these changes, but to keep the game affordable this is what i need to do.

it’s nice to craft or design what you want/use, but i will miss the variety of having several ships using all different weapon types.

wait and see.

Blackout
    Fleet Member

Delta Rising is the best expansion ever!

fatman592
    Fleet Member

@Blackout wrote:

You forgot the most important part of Geko’s assertion: “And the players love it!”

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

@fatman592 wrote:

@Blackout wrote:

You forgot the most important part of Geko’s assertion: “And the players love it!”

😆 !

Honestly I was getting a bit burned out on Delta-we’ll-get-a-Rise-out-of-you, but what ‘rekindled the fire’, as it were, was starting a new alt. Replaying the old Fed episodes ( and admittedly bluntly skipping quite a few too ) with that new alt that already has access to top tier zen-ships and crafing purple leveling gear is more fun than I expected – and admittedly this alt plays at mere Advanced lvl all the way through.

Leveling up I also now realize that the whole crafting revamp really is aimed at new players, and not us veterans who already have ‘top tier’ ( Reputation ) gear. Upgrading kit you had since you were a lowly LT all the way up to Fleet Admiral is easier / cheaper than crafting and upgrading kit immediately from Mk II to XIV Epic – been there done that too.

And it’s funny but the Delta episodes are different, dare I say more fun to me, (re-)playing them with a new under equipped alt then with my maxed lvl 60s. Btw it’s probably the benefit of traits and T6 ship masteries but this alt does quite well with basic ( but purple ) Mk X wps and consoles at advanced play. Just using what came with the ships or minor upgrades. Missions may take a bit longer but I still don’t die and get the job done – I remember having a harder time with my lvl 60’s sporting Fleet Elite Mk XIV kit running Delta eps the first few times.

I am however feeling the dili drain – I’m going to have to make max use of the upcoming dili weekend; not because I like to but because I really, really need to this time. That necessity really annoys me though, because dammit this is a game and not a job Jim!

I still take a bit of pride in it that I could buy the whole DR pack with in-game earned dili (and I’m also still silver so no stipend for me), and perhaps it would be different if I actually paid real $$$ for the DR pack. Q know’s I’ve had some serious buyer’s remorse with previous games (SWG).

What I took away from all of this is that I really need to just go with the flow; the expansions, upgrades and revamps settle down in their place eventually and if I don’t make too much of a hassle out of it STO will keep me entertained.

For now anyway.

fatman592
    Fleet Member

Tribble stuff: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1345101

Bleh, new R&D School just to train and a new Specialization… boy I hope they take a look at XP rewards.

Woo hoo, Secondary Deflectors are finally coming!

And wow, a Romulan Mystery arc revamp. What’s with deleting content though?

[EDIT]: Went over to Tribble for a look, Padds cost 4 uncommon mats (4 tritanium, 1 thoron), 500 dil, 2500ec, apply training for 600 expertise. But it takes 4 hours to craft a Padd at the moment (with an 18k dil finish now button)… pretty much what I expected. Playing around with things, it’s definitely a quality of life improvement. However, there are some buggy UI issues.

And I lol’ed at one of the Command Specialization passives. A buff to specialization points earned by the team. Sounds like an exploit to me heh.

fatman592
    Fleet Member

Secondary deflectors: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyxzkshzmu4cedx/secondarydefl.png?dl=0

I’m itching to put one of those Inhibiting Deflectors to add even more damage to my TBR3. 2298 damage from a Mk VIII, that could reach some absurd numbers…

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Some nice boosts to Sensor Analysis too, interesting.

Anonymous

@AzureAlliance has the following BO powers available to train:

Engineering: Mine Barrier 3, Shield Recharge 3, EPt Eng/She/Wep 3, Engineering Team 3, Combat Supply 1, Cover Shield 2, Phaser Turret 3, Shield Generator 3, Support Drone Fabrication 1, Directed Energy Modulation 3, Eject Warp Plasma 3, Extend Shields 3

Science: Dampening Field 1, Electro-Gravitic Field 3, Medical Tricorder 3, Hazard Emitters 3, Tachyon Beam 3, Nanite Health Monitor 1, Neural Neutralizer 2, Tricorder Scan 3

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

Will Captain training still be available after the update?

fatman592
    Fleet Member

@Damix wrote:

Will Captain training still be available after the update?

Captains will be able to produce training manuals which will be tradable and able to be sold on the exchange. Over on Tribble the “Train Officer” button is greyed out.

It would be nice if we could set aside a section of the fleet bank to store these for fleet members. Maybe transfer to the LogDiv fleet first for our new members.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.