Amazed and Intimidated

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Amazed and Intimidated

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Well I have been lightly reading the guides on this forum today and please understand this a compliment. And to frank I am amazed at so many of you all skills in this game, and more than a little intimidated by those same skills.

As an old Snipe, I am used to tearing apart Engines, Boilers, etc. so normally I can figure things out by reading a Tech Manual. But after going Paradoxical’s guide on Captain Builds, I now know the way I am setting my main Captain ” the skill it reads good, so I will pick this” may not of been the best of ideas LoL 🙂

And now I have been reading STOWiki about Fleet and its holdings, and think my brain may of slipped a gear, because it reminds me of LOT of a different game’s Clan System (World of Warships) makes me wonder where WG may gotten some of their ideas from? 😉

SO now I have a lot more stuff to figure out LoL

BUT I very impressed with you all, now I am just wondering if I am going to able to get this straight in my head – LoL 🙂

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by SgtKen60.

aka @sgtken60 "AKA Grumpy Old Klingon/Andorian

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Heh no worries, it’s nothing that can’t be fixed with a big enough hammer. We can give you advice or just give you a straight balanced cookie – cutter build and setup. We can walk you through the (admittedly) complex fleet holdings as well. There’s a fleet to back you up and clean up the mess so just carry on cap’n.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Heh no worries, it’s nothing that can’t be fixed with a big enough hammer. We can give you advice or just give you a straight balanced cookie – cutter build and setup. We can walk you through the (admittedly) complex fleet holdings as well. There’s a fleet to back you up and clean up the mess so just carry on cap’n.

Well thanks for that, I kinda figured you Gals and Guys would help.

I sure you been there yourself, Marcas where you think you got it figured out. Then you read something or met someone that shows you something different and BOOM!!!!

The Mind is blown!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by SgtKen60.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Anything specific that blows the mind in STO ? Builds, loadouts, the right way to talk to an Orion girl…?

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Anything specific that blows the mind in STO ? Builds, loadouts, the right way to talk to an Orion girl…?

Builds mainly, and the Fleet stuff.

Orion Girls —- LoL all I will say is 8yrs USN LoL

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Are you using keybinds / macros ? A simple keybind will vastly improve your gameplay. Heck, the STO devs themselves advise them.

Post your build on this forum (under Mechanics) and we’ll give you some handy pointers.

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Are you using keybinds / macros ? A simple keybind will vastly improve your gameplay. Heck, the STO devs themselves advise them. Post your build on this forum (under Mechanics) and we’ll give you some handy pointers.

Sorry for the late reply, Marcase.

Okay no I do not use keybinds/macros – I am a old mouse point and click player a habit I am trying to break, I have been trying to figure on how to set them up from the links show here. I will try to figure out how to use the build program from link and I will post it as directed.

I also now have a Klingon Engineering Captain who just hit Level 10 this morning, I am planning to use Paradoxical’s NX build on her, and get her into the Fleet soon as I can. 🙂

See I never been to much of a build player, as long I had fun I am good. BUT I can tell in this game I am going to be hurting a lot if I do not figure it out, so I have something else to get out of the habit of. 🙂

And with life/wife/job reading can sometimes be hard to get done. But I will try measure up to the fleet (and no you all are not pressuring me – that is me doing that), and get figured out, and thanks for all the help so far.

P.S. I am bit of a Forum Junkie so let me know if I become a pain LoL

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Forum junkie eh ? Well at the fleet starbase we have a special section with padded rooms, so no worries.

Download the file spacebar.txt (right-click, then “Save target as …”) and place it in your STO directory which is usually at –

C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live

Start STO, log in with the character you want to play, go into a space map (there are different keybind sets for ground and space). Then enter the following command into your chat box:

/bind_load_file spacebar.txt

This keybind file changes two keys:

1. Your spacebar now activates not only your energy weapons, but also all abilities that you place in tray 7 (we will get to this in a second) and redistributes your shields.
    2. The T key now sends a message to your team (“Target”) announcing your current target.

Tray 7 is basically your Cruise Control – it automates some skills which ideally are up 24/7.  You need to use the /bind_load_file on each character (again in space) so that they are ‘hooked up’, as it were.

Add to tray 7: 2x copies of Emergency Power to Shields (EPTS) *or* Weapons (EPTW), plus a Tactical Team, and set your power settings to Attack. With 2x EPTS running your shields will be stronger, with 2x EPTW your weapons hit harder. You can increase efficiency with Duty Officers (3x Damage Control Engineers with EPTx cooldown reduction). Besides these 3 skills you can add others that match your playstyle – do limit the number of skills in Tray 7 to 6-7 or you’ll screw up the cooldown ‘rythm’.

As an example, this is my Tray 7 in the lower right corner.

It has Tac Team EPTS, EPTE, Brace4Impact, Beam overload, Torp Spread and Kemocite. (Brace was there to trigger a Doff trait).

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Forum junkie eh ? Well at the fleet starbase we have a special section with padded rooms, so no worries.

Okay will do when I get off work 07

Forum Junkie – Yup, I spend 8 to 16Hrs at work, staring at 12 cameras, answering phones and dealing with the public. SO a active Fleet/Clan/Guild Forum is something I love, there at times (except for the wife) you folks will be my only contact for hours at a time.

And padded rooms ARE FUN lol 😀

Thanks again 07

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by SgtKen60.

Mark
    Fleet Member

@Marcase: I’m gonna have pick your brains on how to setup two sets of trays like that.  Everytime I’ve tried, its been a major fail.  Pretty sure its something simple I’m missing, just don’t have enough knowledge to work it out though (my googlefu skills have failed me).

aka @patelmark

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

When you go to Esc/HUD lower right corner you will find the vertical tab option – it’s a bit sneakishly placed so it’s easy to overlook. You can then add up to 10 bars total by clicking the little cubes-symbol. The mini-arrows allows to roll up the proper number of hor/vert tray bars.

Of course instead of vertical trays you can just use extra horizontal ones, or even the Boff (face) tray. Captains choice.

Keep in mind that the shown tray setup is just mine that fits my playstyle, and in no way should be copied – it just won’t work for others.

BreakingForce
    Fleet Admiral
    Team Player

hope that helps 🙂

BreakingForce
    Fleet Admiral
    Team Player

my setup, in case anyone cares 🙂

i find it’s best to have my buttons near to the action, so i can see them without taking my eyes off what’s actually going on onscreen (for very long, anyway). keeping track of cooldowns, mostly…since i do my activations with an mmo mouse (razer naga trinity, with 12-button grid on the side).

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

my setup, in case anyone cares i find it’s best to have my buttons near to the action, so i can see them without taking my eyes off what’s actually going on onscreen (for very long, anyway). keeping track of cooldowns, mostly…since i do my activations with an mmo mouse (razer naga trinity, with 12-button grid on the side).

Thank you BreakingForce, I am still learning so anyone’s input helps. And @Marcase, I wish to apologize for not posting my build, every time I try something comes up, but my main is up to Level 64 and his build is not really a build i.e. in the Lieutenant Section I just put points into everything.

Because like a dumba$$, I did not read anything before playing.

And I have question – Is there anyway to get a skill reset token besides the Zen Store?

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

No worries, STO can often be overly (and unnecessarily) complicated and vague. You can begin by posting screenshots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.