Tim Russ (Tuvok), Next Voice Actor for STO

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Tim Russ (Tuvok), Next Voice Actor for STO

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    fatman592
    Fleet Member

Link to the announcement here: http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-tim-russ-joins-the-star-trek-online-cast

He will play Admiral Tuvok in command of Voyager (either recommisioned or a new ship, Voyager – A?). Russ gets to plug his movies and a role in the STO storyline, good for him – and us.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

CodeWarrior316
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Was quite disappointed with the Michael Dorn voice-overs, but in the end its just fluff anyway. Maybe this will be better but I wasn’t super impressed with the interview. Kind of gave me the vibe – “yea i was on Voyager for 7 years so I’ll never get away from ST and i might as well make some $$ at it. anyways i got these other projects going on and I’m here promoting them as well so… oh BTW voice acting is hard so don’t be disappointed at me too when you find out it sucks.” Kurland here!

fatman592
    Fleet Member

@CodeWarrior316 wrote:

Was quite disappointed with the Michael Dorn voice-overs, but in the end its just fluff anyway. Maybe this will be better but I wasn’t super impressed with the interview. Kind of gave me the vibe – “yea i was on Voyager for 7 years so I’ll never get away from ST and i might as well make some $$ at it. anyways i got these other projects going on and I’m here promoting them as well so… oh BTW voice acting is hard so don’t be disappointed at me too when you find out it sucks.” Kurland here!

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. I’m not expecting a lot here, but I’m happy to get whatever content. I as a “beggar” can’t be a “chooser”.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Got to wonder what STO has with Security/Tac Officers; Tasha Yar was security, Worf was security and now Tuvok…

I wonder if “Renegades” will be integrated into the STO canon.
    http://startrekrenegades.com/home/trailers-and-videos/

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

fatman592
    Fleet Member

@Marcase wrote:

Got to wonder what STO has with Security/Tac Officers; Tasha Yar was security, Worf was security and now Tuvok…

I wonder if “Renegades” will be integrated into the STO canon.
    http://startrekrenegades.com/home/trailers-and-videos/

I am probably in the minority but I was really hoping to see Garret Wang (Ensign Kim). Not that I really liked the character all that much but young Harry was always ambitious. So to me, having him be an admiral now, leading some task force carrying on the legacy of the great Janeway (she never had a greater cheerleader/sycophant than Harry) is just more plausible.

I mean Tuvok has been known to put his Starfleet career on the back-burner. It took him from ST:6 to Voyager to get a promotion from Ensign to Lieutenant, then was handed Lt. Cmdr. by Janeway after a couple years. The dude doesn’t care, never wanted command, just wanted to teach. Tuvok should have just been at Starfleet Academy for the new tutorial, oh well.

Regardless, I think tuvok was the “best” they could get and there is probably a lot of disappointment in store for some. Again, I’ll take what I can get but I’m not expecting much out of this. As long as they make money and the game stays free, I guess I’m satisfied.

CodeWarrior316
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Tuvok was pressured into SF by his parents and left for 30 years. I liked the char in Voyager, currently watching them all since I didn’t have access to UPN when it started. Tim didn’t do a good interview with BranFlakes IMO maybe it was just a long day for him.

The promos for ST: Renegades look cool – hope that works out well and doesn’t get sold to SyFy channel! They would create a masterful 1st season and then utterly destroy it like everything else they touch.

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

@CodeWarrior316 wrote:

The promos for ST: Renegades look cool – hope that works out well and doesn’t get sold to SyFy channel! They would create a masterful 1st season and then utterly destroy it like everything else they touch.

Amen to that! 😀

Admiral Harry Kim would’ve been a nice character too. I know the STO Devs met Wang at Las Vegas last year and Wang was open to the idea. But of course Garrett Wang doesn’t “own” Harry Kim so The Powers That Be could throw many a wrench into that ambition.

Problem is also that the Voyager cast (never mind the TNG and DS9 cast) are/should be pretty old in the STO universe. Tuvok as a Vulcan can bypass that annoying issue that us mere mortals have to deal with, so in that respect STO has a very small selection of canon characters it can really (believeably) choose from.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

@Marcase wrote:

Admiral Harry Kim would’ve been a nice character too. I know the STO Devs met Wang at Las Vegas last year and Wang was open to the idea. But of course Garrett Wang doesn’t “own” Harry Kim so The Powers That Be could throw many a wrench into that ambition.

https://twitter.com/GarrettRWang/status/456900243158605824

Some good news 🙂

elvis441
    Fleet Member

Cool!

fatman592
    Fleet Member

Nice to see this, but I wonder what bit of storyline they’ll concoct for Admiral Kim to be doing in STO.

Incoming communique: The Iconians have returned to reconquer their empire. Admiral Kim is heading the task force against the Iconians to prevent them from taking a hub of gateways. Report to [system ‘x’] and assist this task force.

Put this mission in either Zeta Andromadae or Alpha Trianguli so we can aid the Cardassians and create a storyline path to a Cardassian/True Way mini-faction in 2015.

Now for my next VO request: Jeffery Combs, Jefferey Combs, Jefferey Combs!!!!!!!

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

I think Kim will play his part in a featured episode that will introduce us with Delta Quadrant plot. He is expert for that area and could be he will act as ambassador there? Not sure what is his rank in 2409/2410.. Maybe he has his own ship so he will shoot some Kazons and Malons.

So I don’t think we will go toward Cardassians with Harry Kim this year. Hope to see it in expansion 3.

@fatman592 wrote:

Now for my next VO request: Jeffery Combs, Jefferey Combs, Jefferey Combs!!!!!!!

And Andrew Robinson! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.