Tiers ship discussion

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Tiers ship discussion

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sovereign001
    Fleet Member

First time I think that I posted in this section / thread :p

I think everyone here has bought a C-store ship and if not.. well you probably will (even if you are now shaking your head 😀 )

The thing is however, I feel Cryptic/ PWE has lost it a bit.. In the beginning, you could buy just a ship that wasn’t standard in the game. Like an Excelsior class or Galaxy X. Now after the entire integration of Tiers, I think they are stepping on their own toes..(dutch expression, marcase will prolly sigh after reading this :mrgreen: )

Especially now with the tier 6 battlecruisers, which are just the standard tier 5 ships that you can have but upgraded to tier 6 and a different lay-out and upgraded hull.

What will happen after this ? Tier 7 ? Tier 8 ? I’m still flying my tier 5 (no U) scimitar and my Phantom Intel Class. I’m afraid that when I buy a ship, it will get obsoleted with the next patch and to be honest I think a lot of people have the same opinion about this..

People that bought for example the Iconic pack now see the new tier 6 battlecruisers and probably wondering crap ?

Why couldn’t they just make some sort of “leveling up” system ? If you have a Miranda class for example, that you can still fly it if you are vice admiral but with your new weapons and warpcore etc, and then have an upgrade button where you can level up the hull for example to be more consistent with the higher tier ships? Of course this costs dilithium and some sort of other mark.. Federation marks or Utopia planitia marks for example..

Pwe can still deliver us ships in the c-store but nothing that has to do with tiers.. Just special weapons or consoles or extra special layout etc. I can’t believe that the Federation admirals in star trek only have sovereigns, or the big other ships.. Why not a Miranda ship leveled up with XIV weaponry and consoles and a good hull rating and power output but of course still canon fodder compared to a maxout sovereign class.. I think it would increase a variance in the fleet that we are now seeing today.. People would use their old ships way more (excelsiors, stargazers, defiants, galaxy, sovereign, intrepids, Miranda, novas) etc.

Your opinion guys ?

Jim44305
    Fleet Member

It took 5 years to go from tier 5 to tier 6 and I hope that it takes another 5 years to see tier 7. That said, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see a new tier added every couple of years. The ships are a big money maker and if they can make only slight improvements and get the old vets of the game that have an already brimming shipyard think that those ships are now useless and need to upgrade or buy new ships it’s like turning on a tap from which money flows.

I also don’t like having bridge officer abilities and traits and such in lock boxes. It’s again making you feel like you have to buy keys and get lucky opening boxes or get left behind. Of course, all of these things (including zen) are obtainable through currency that any free player can acquire. But it’s so hard to come by that much currency. Just to name off a few things considered to be good for about any build/ship:
    Plasmonic Leech – 55-60 million energy credits
    Inspirational Leader – 175-180 million energy credits
    Supremacy (starship trait from the Astika) – 120-150 million energy credits
    Those are just 3 things that will get you close to 400 million energy credits in the hole before you’ve even touched weapons or active doffs. None of it (much like the new ships) is necessary. But you sure feel like you need them and often feel like dead weight unless you get them.

You’re right. It feels like they’re running out of fresh ideas to make money so they just throw a fresh coat of paint on an old Avenger and market it as something new. It makes me feel a little guilty but I’m already working out how I’m going to get the Arbiter. The starship trait sounds good and if the boff seating and console layout is good it sounds like a potent ship. If…and I know it is a very remote possibility…but if there is a hangar on it then I won’t be able to click buy fast enough. I’m just a sucker for ships with hangars.

Since coming back to the game I have felt the rate at which new stuff appears in the zen store is markedly more rapid than it used to be. Eventually, more and more players will be unable to keep up and once they feel as though they are so far behind they could never catch up, they will leave. It’s a precarious balancing act and I feel that they’re starting to falter.

Rule of Acquisition #22: A wise man can hear profit in the wind.

But remember….

Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

@Sovereign001 wrote:

I think they are stepping on their own toes..(dutch expression, marcase will prolly sigh after reading this :mrgreen: )

Hehe, sounds alright.
    Bottom line is that PWE does earns most of its money from ships, so expect new ships to overtake current ones as the new normal.
    Having said that, certain starship traits do make old(er) ships better – Reciprocity is a Fed trait that’s so good it will improve your Miranda considerably (still wouldn’t take it into an Adv/Elite STFs though). The bad news is that we will be focusing more on ship traits than the ships itself, the good news is that Al Riviera mentioned earlier that starship traits may become universal, eg Fed ship traits for KDF and vice versa just like certain faction specific consoles (Plasmonic leech).

@Sovereign001 wrote:

Eventually, more and more players will be unable to keep up and once they feel as though they are so far behind they could never catch up

That’s why they did the whole Delta Recruit thing; players were dropping off because of lack of content (debatable that) and new players were so daunted by the Reputation grind(s) they stayed away. So PWE came up with this fast leveling alt that could get to lvl 60 in a breeze. Did annoyed the rest of us who needed months to get to 50, then grind through the Delta patrols to 60. Delta Recruits made old mains/alts obsolete – especially when you had like a dozen of them (each faction, each seperate career) which may have taken you years to get up to par.
    I’m so glad I only had 3 and in the end only added one extra Delta.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

fatman592
    Fleet Member

I got my FPER and less than a month later they announced T6 ships. I was not pleased, but I did what I’ve always done, diligently farmed for the necessary dilithium and ec needed to get a Delta Rising pack. When you get everything for just logging in and doffing, it makes obsolescence less painful.

Delta Rising introduced a series of cash grabs as well as some social engineering paired with substantial reward nerfs (which we now know led to the relatively dead queues). For me, ships aren’t a big deal, it’s all the alt unfriendly changes that have led to me logging in a lot less.

The upgrade and specialization systems sent a big message to non-whales that this was now a one character game. I’ve always focused on my main, but I could jump to my other toons and craft reasonably powerful builds with a moderate amount of effort. Now I’d have to grind millions of dilithium and ec, and months of full time job grinding to fill out specialization trees. I used to switch energy types, now I can’t. Playing around with builds is an expensive thing to do these days. It’s a shame really.

I feel like they’ve gouged the whales at the expense of the semi-hardcore players. All the DR changes did was to lead me to stockpile. And the exchange keeps creeping up and up…

My suggestions: don’t pay attention to DPS, play on normal, rely on doffing for income, and don’t spend real money so you’ll feel better a about the game. Buying a ship is honestly one of the least expensive things in the game.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Lhivera
    Fleet Member

I think you need to be pretty heavy into min/maxing to notice the difference in performance between a T6 ship and a T5U ship, especially since the introduction of the new tac/sci/eng skills. My T6 ships feel different, but they don’t really feel stronger. For the most part, I get T6 ships to plunder their traits for use with my favorite T5U’s.

Sabre
    Fleet Member

I’m having real trouble writing this post, can’t seem to find the right words so I’ll keep it simple.

PWE / cryptic stop making me feel as though I have to do this or that, buy this or that etc etc. I’ve had enough, its not fun anymore….its not even Trek anymore.

On a lighter note; no (insert name), you can’t have my stuff, I haven’t gone just yet. 🙄

aka @sabreoneone

Vindleth
    Fleet Member

Making dilithium isn’t that hard in this game. And my addictivness to repetitions is shining by clicking same things every day. Doing one Crystaline entity gives you 720 dil, and that is pretty much all dil i need. There is nothing in this game to spend dil on than ships and zen store goodies.
    Click here click there and buy goodies on store. I’m also sucker for visuals and these new ships look cool so why not. Game as it is is getting progressively worse. Its turning into one huge grind fest and DPS count. But it also gives me some kind of goal to strive for.

Good thing is everyone can find their own corner in the galaxy and do the things they enjoy.

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

Yeah, they are selling the same thing twice and ship trait mechanic was really smart idea. Having t6 fleet version without trait made C-Store ships even more desirable. Otherwise, I would just buy fleet version like I did with t5 ships (mostly).

Nandi makes interesting profit (^^) with that extra 6th boff seat as it can have one extra SRO (other ships have max 5 boff seats but get access to extra LT power).

I hope we will get some kind of Fleet Admiral feature that gives us more options to do with ships we don’t use.

Jim44305
    Fleet Member

@Vindleth wrote:

There is nothing in this game to spend dil on than ships and zen store goodies.

Really have to point out a few things here. Dilithium is spent on items from the fleet store. I was making a list of things I need to pick up from the fleet on just one toon the other night and in total it comes out to a few hundred thousand dilithium. What will run you even more dilithium is upgrading. Once you upgrade all of your consoles, deflector, shields, etc. you get to start upgrading your weapons. Just crafted a shiny MKII beam with crtDx2 and pen that you want to upgrade? Spend up the dilithium until you get lucky and the quality goes up only to end up with the added trait being useless so you have to start over. That’s not mentioning all of the other weapon slots you need to fill out too. And last but most definitely not least millions of dilithium can be spent on fleet projects. I know right now there are a couple of projects on the Delta fleet that need over 300,000 dilithium each.

It is true that dilithium is easy to come by. Hitting the 8k a day mark on even multiple toons can be done with relative ease. But it is equally as easy, if not more so, to find ways outside of the zen store to spend that 8k every day.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.