The Expanse!

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge The Oasis Recreation The Expanse!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Sovereign47
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

So is anyone here except me watching this great show?
    It a show based on books which I haven’t read yet, but most of the people who did read them are saying they are great and according to what I have seen in this 8 episodes that got out, I must admit it is a pretty decent space opera. Most people say it is in quality range of BSG, Firefly and other great Sci-fi shows which I can only confirm based on what I’ve seen so far.
    The show has great effects, slow-pacing mysterious and gripping storyline, very good actions sequences and decent actors. At first I was skeptical about the show and those who haven’t watched it yet will be too, but give it a chance and I can guarantee you that you won’t regret it. If only the next ST show would be thrilling as Expanse is, I would be very happy.

Here goes trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQuTAPWJxNo

And the other one with little more spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vigQp8_xhQQ

And more info here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/

Let the discussion begin :mrgreen:

CodeWarrior316
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

ScyFy channel has such a majestic way of creating something remarkably interesting, peaking that interest by advertising word or mouth or any other means, building a huge following, and then crushing it straight into the ground without a single care or any remorse. And then make yet another Sharknado movie… no thanks.

Sovereign47
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Well this time it is a bit different as season 2 has been confirmed before the first episode was even released and given the mostly positive reviews of the show I hope this time it will be different and that they won’t cancel it (too) early. So 2 season are guaranteed at best, but it is very likely that the show will have more of them (at least 5 or 6). You should give it a try.

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

I noticed it and plan to watch after currently running seasons of The Shanara Chronicles, X-Files, The Flash and Arrow are finished. It will be too much if I add another one. 🙂

Sovereign47
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

@Damix wrote:

I noticed it and plan to watch after currently running seasons of The Shanara Chronicles, X-Files, The Flash and Arrow are finished. It will be too much if I add another one. 🙂

Well take your time, as the first season is almost over and then comes a long time of waiting on a next one (I hate that part). But I must point out that this is a must see for every big SF fan as the show is really great and something we have been waiting a long time for (pretty much since they cancelled SGU). Besides Expanse I will also suggest Dark Matter and Killjoys if you haven’t watched them already, because those are also decent new SF shows. Well, maybe they aren’t on a level with Expanse, but they are still very good and potentially they have a big chance to become as good as Stargate/Battlestar Galactica/some other good big SF shows was for example.

All in all this year will be great as we have 3 good new SF shows (The Expanse (I don’t know why, but sometimes I misread this as sexpanse 😆 ), Dark Matter and Killjoys) and there are those less SF shows that I’m watching like The Walking Dead, The Last Ship and The Strain. And then next year will be even better, because beside those we are also getting a new Trek series 😀 😀 😀
    The only thing I feel sorry about is that they haven’t renewed Defiance for another season, but at least it had a decent ending unlike Stargate Universe.

Sovereign47
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

So it’s been a year since first season of this great show ended and left us at a huge cliffhanger, but now it’s finally coming back in a few days (season 2 starts with February 1th). If you haven’t already seen season 1, I recommend you to do so now that you still have time before season 2 starts. It has only ten episodes so far and it is great for binge watching.

Here are some trailers for season 2:

And one that will be bring you up to speed in case you haven’t saw season 1 already (which you definitely should):

I’m seriously hyped when it comes to this series as I have read all of the books this show is based on, and they are really a great read. Actually I started recently 6th book which got out at the beginning of December and so far I can say that its quality remains on the level with previous books. So yeah, besides recommending to watch show, I’m also recommending to read the books too as they are also awesome.

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

I (binge) watched season 1 last year, and it’s without a doubt one of my favourite scifi shows – really looking fwd to Season 2 🙂

I actually never heard of the books before, and haven’t read them. I find that books and series are, or start to, differ from eachother due to production issues (see Dune), so I usually wait till either I read all the books or watched the whole series. What I really like about The Expanse is that they try to approximate ‘real life’ in space, with all its mechanics and physics.

Endorsed. Definately a Must See. 8)

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Sovereign47
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Glad that I’m not the only one here liking this show 🙂

Anyway, when it comes to books, it’s totally different case with Expanse than with most of other adaptions. What I mean by that is that show doesn’t greatly differ from what I’ve read in books (at least that could be said for first season), but it only includes some minor changes which fitted in quite nicely. So it is definitely worth reading the books too.

And yes, I agree about that ‘real life’ in space thing, as this could be the closest possible future to current state of humanity and technology. Although when it comes to latter I do think there is more place for improvement.

jtuyajr
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

a good series for sure, almost done with the latest book, will start watching the show when I finish up season 7 of ds9

aka Stompar

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

I watched the first season of the Expanse, so I’m glad to hear new episode comes tomorrow. First book equals first season of the show?

Vindleth
    Fleet Member

Ok i just swallowed half of first season…. amazing… thanks for bringing it up.

Sovereign47
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

So how do you like a new season so far? I think it is even better than the first one and this last episode was really amazing. Especially that ending with proto-Julie and Miller.

Also, in second episode there was an awesome battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhKWeGXduzs

Can’t wait for more 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Sovereign47.
    Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Well I said it before, it’s my favourite SciFi show of the moment 🙂 Especially since I haven’t read any of the books so I don’t know what’s coming (I’m intentionally avoiding trailers or any other back-story news). I really like the 2nd season so far, which flows well with the first and the gfx are pretty good as well. Cast is well chosen (early on I was afraid it would be a Firefly-ish ensemble) and I hope that the recent ending won’t be The End for ‘them’, if you know what I mean (no spoilers).

The way they approach space-travel is very well done, trying to deal with the real rigors of zero-G and acceleration. Hope they stay away from magical gravity solutions etc (that’s what Star Trek is for) 😉

It only recently dawned on me that the actress playing Chrisjen was also a voice-actress in Mass Effect 2 (Admiral/judge) – it didn’t click untill I replayed some ME2.

Watch The Expanse if nothing else. It’s a great show, can’t wait for the next episode.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Vindleth
    Fleet Member

Watched the Miller/Julie episode yesterday. Still dont know what to think about asteroid moving on its own. Guess there is some space wizardy even there.

I love the characters. Each of them has weaknesses like normal people. No space heroes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.