Razer Tartarus Question

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Razer Tartarus Question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Delsaran Daro
    Fleet Member

I’ve been using the Tartarus almost from start…months, almost a year, and I’ve had no issues.  Today, naturally “out of nowhere”…

I’ve programmed two set ups, one for ground and one for space.  In the space set up I use the thumbstud instead of the wsad keys for maneuvering.

All the other buttons I’ve programmed still do what they’re supposed to but the thumbstud no longer functions.  Granted…it’s the most used out of them all and given the hours I’ve clocked I suppose it could have just given up the ghost…it IS after all the only thing that doesn’t work…but that seems awfully quick and not especially complimentary to the company’s optics.  I’ve barely had it a year.  I have considered that I may have changed a setting somewhere by accident but I can’t imagine what I would have done that completely disabled ONE button leaving the others functional and have it not be obvious enough to be able to back track my steps.  Once I set it up the only thing I’ve ever done since is switch from space to ground.

Any thoughts are much appreciated…

Daro

aka @talyn#3391

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

The only thing I can suggest is to check STO options and that you still have it mapped in the keybind menu: there’s a seperate Ground/Space setting of which one may have been wiped.

Other than that no idea. Did you update something? A background/stealth update or one of those lovely windows ones which have a habit to mess with us. Is it only with STO or with other apps/games as well? That can determine if the button itself died.

I used to have a razer naga which didn’t load keybinds after my pc woke-up: had to reboot and then it worked perfectly. Strangest thing, not to mention bloody annoying.
    These days I use a 5 Euro 7-button “gaming mouse” which keeps working even after spilling coffee on it.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Delsaran Daro
    Fleet Member

Marcase,

Thanks for the reply. I will check my settings ingame but I don’t remember anything ever being there.  The closest I found was joysticks or controlers or something that had options for joy stick and xbox and both were on.  Nothing changed when I turned them off.  Gonna text the company and see what they say but it looks like I might be in for a reinstall and reconfiguring my space and ground macrosets.  Unless I can save those…which I think I can, but think I don’t know how at the moment.  By the time I figure THAT out I might as well reinstall and start from scratch.  🙂

Thanks as always for the help.

Daro

aka @talyn#3391

BreakingForce
    Fleet Admiral
    Team Player

i use an orbweaver, myself. same basic idea, but with mechanical switches instead of mecha-membrane (or optical switches on the pro version of the tartarus).

if you have it set up with wasd mapped to the thumbstick directions, you could try opening up notepad (or word, or whatever) and moving it around to see if it’s still working and inputting the expected keypresses. that would at least help narrow down if the problem is with the gamepad itself or with sto.

if it’s not inputting wasd as expected in notepad, then something is wrong with the device (or synapse. also wouldn’t be a huge surprise). if it is, look to your sto keybinds.

also make sure you’re still set to use the synapse bind setup profile that you usually do for sto. sometimes i load into a game and forget to swap to the correct profile heh.

as for razer themselves, my orbweaver and naga trinity are both probably 4-6 years old, and still work just fine (mostly). and i had a razer blackwidow keyboard that lasted probably 8-10 years until i managed to brick it just a couple months ago (no fault of the board…i managed to restart my pc while it was attempting a firmware update. totally my bad heh). so with a dataset of one, my experience with razer has been pretty good thus far.

Delsaran Daro
    Fleet Member

Gentlemen,

Wanted to thank you again for your time and see if you can be of continued assistance.  I have done almost everything I can think of to fix this issue.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Tartarus V2 itself.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled and resynched Razer Synapse with my online profile.

Additionally I went into Control Panel, found the dialogue box that allowed me to calibrate the Razer and as it turns out, the Tartarus IS sending a signal to my computer as the small x moves around the calibration box in the window when I manipulate the d-pad.  However, that is the ONLY place so far that I can get the d-pad to function.  It does not work in here, it does not work in No Man’s Sky.  (although in fairness I’ve never used it in NMS so I don’t know if this is normal for that game or not)

The people at Razer are characteristically obscurantist and obstructionist from my point of view.  They asked me to send a “video of the problem just described”.  So I sent them a video of me manipulating the thumbstud in front of the screen showing a non-responsive ship sitting stationary in space.  They sent a note back that they were “unable to observe the problem described” and requested a video showing the “precise problem experienced”.  I have NO idea what they expect to see in a video of a NON-FUNCTIONING joystick / controller that is not doing what it’s supposed to do.

As far as I am able to tell, the problem began somewhere between the two STO shard maintenance updates of 25 and 27 May.  Is it possible one of those updates did something I am unaware of and is there a way to contact someone for help internally?  At the moment, Razer is useless.  I’m not unfamiliar with the system I’m engaged with there.  Their “Customer Service / Tech Support”, like effectively all companies at this point, is the equivalent of a McDonalds employee who only knows as much about actually preparing food as the preprogrammed machines require them to know.  Asking a series of pre-constructed stock questions off a screen and responding with pre-constructed stock suggestions such as “have you tried rebooting” or “Ok Sir, I’m going to go ahead and have you reinstall the software.” is not helpful.  They might as well not even be listening.  Not to be too rough on the guy but I’m not sure who “Roland” is other than to say he’s more than likely simply been hired to sit there at a desk in a call center and do his best to resolve problems that he probably has no actual programming expertise in.

Also, I can find nothing in STO options settings windows or keybinds that references the Tartarus as a control device.  To the best of my knowledge there never was.  I simply plugged the thing in, Windows installed it and when I ran STO it worked.  I then set up my macros to fire my tray options in space and ground combat, remapped a few keys for positive and negative acceleration and Slipstream in space and Run / Jump on ground missions.  As far as I can tell there’s nothing anywhere that let’s me pick it off a list and even if I could, that doesn’t explain why ALL of the other buttons I’ve keymapped AND the one that fires off all my macros in combat still work precisely as I programmed them to leaving the d-pad as the only non-functioning button.

While I wait for them to do whatever they’re going to do, I thought I’d drop back in here with the additional information and question to see if you or anyone else has any more thoughts on the matter.  Most especially is there an ingame or game related techie I can contact for help?

Thanks again…Daro

UPDATE:  Evening May 29:

I’ve discovered that the thumbstud is active in web windows as a single line scroll up down device (but oddly not in THIS window).  I’m fairly comfortable concluding the button itself is not busted and we’re down to a setting or re-initialization of some sort I would think..???

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Delsaran Daro.

aka @talyn#3391

Delsaran Daro
    Fleet Member

So…at this point, I’ve discovered that my issue is a known element to some people in here.  Those that depend upon joystick axis control I would imagine.  It’s happened before.

So I responded to the email sent by Arc asking me how I thought they did handling my request.  I sent back that since there have been no updates on the board links they sent me, nor have they communicated any further information or updates themselves…has the issue been resolved..?

Their reply was essentially, stop sending duplicate tickets.  This is tricky.  It’s hard to figure out because it’s random. Hopefully this won’t happen again. Sorry…

Hence my next question for here…anyone know if the issue is resolved? or not?  For anyone who’s interested, I’ve included the links sent to me from Cryptic.

Daro

While I do apologize for any inconvenience and based on the similar reports that we have been receiving from other affected players, please be informed that we have already forwarded this issue to our development team for further review and investigation. When we have more information about this issue we will be sure to let the community know through our official news page and forums.

Feel feel to check out the ongoing discussion of this issue in our official forums which are linked below.

<https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/13671431&gt;

<https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/13671832&gt;

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Delsaran Daro.

aka @talyn#3391

Delsaran Daro
    Fleet Member

I’m getting fed up with arc.  According to the boards, they consider this issue, “solved”.  It has not been.  At least not insofar as I can tell.  I am still having the precise same issues and all I get from any response I make is the same form letter telling me to stop sending duplicates.

Anyone know how I can contact an actual human in real time to see if I can fix this?

Daro

aka @talyn#3391

Delsaran Daro
    Fleet Member

Is there any further progress on this?

aka @talyn#3391

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

I can’t say, I haven’t seen/heard anything about that bug recently.

Delsaran Daro
    Fleet Member

Marcase,

Thanks for the reply.  I’m reaching a level of frustration here.  Randomly, while I was on the ground, I idly started pushing the thumbstud around and it was manipulating my character.  My understanding is that the game treats your ship as you which is why you can’t fly your ship from the bridge.  So…the game IS recognizing my controller.  And ARC says it’s solved.  But I can’t fly my ship. What a complete PITA.  I’m not sure where to go for help at this point because every single time I try to respond to the emails sent by ARC they tell me I’m sending duplicates.  It’s NOT a duplicate if you’re trying to get further information.

Wondering what my options are at this point.

a. Delete, uninstall every last Razer item.  Synapse software, Tartarus, keyboard…whatever I can find.   But it feels like I’ve done that…more than once.

b. Delete all my Razer macros in Synapse and start over.  I’ve avoided this because those should have nothing to do with why the game recognizes my joystick thumbstud on the ground but not in space, nor why none of the other programmed keybinds are recognized ground OR space.

c. Uninstall and reinstall the entire STO game…which I presume I can do without losing my character and progress.

What’s driving me crazy is it DOES appear that the issue has been fixed but I can’t get a hold of anyone to tell me what I need to do, why my joystick doesn’t function in space or why my keybinds are no longer recognized.

d. All of the above?

Is it really that much to ask that an actual human respond to my ticket and clarify what was done and what my next step would be?  I’m inclined to try putting another ticket in but I strongly suspect I’m just going to get an automated reply again.  My frustration has made the game effectively no fun to play.  Given the amount of real loot I’ve dropped you’d think someone would give enough of a damn to respond directly instead of sending a bot response.

Daro

aka @talyn#3391

Delsaran Daro
    Fleet Member

And…I’m sorry I let that get a little narcissistic.  We all drop a lot of hard earned loot here.  Apologies…

Daro

aka @talyn#3391

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

All good mate.

If it is just STO and not any other game(s), it may plainly be that STO (for whatever reason) cannot support your Razer – which I highly doubt, but hey, we’re pulling straws here.

The only thing left I can think of is that you could try playing STO directly via STEAM, or directly via the STO.exe executable (depending how you installed it). Or, as you said, reviewing your Razer software (patches), checking saved configs and maybe unplugging some other (USB) peripheral might be the gremlin that’s mucking things up.

Other than that, no idea.

Delsaran Daro
    Fleet Member

Marcase,

Again, thank you for taking the time.  There IS an ARC thread, two of them in fact, that are still active about the issue which as far as the people posting and myself are concerned, is NOT solved so I would expect a solution from the creators and developers.  While not opposed to doing all the unplugging and plugging back in of stuff if I need to the device worked fine for almost a year with out a single issue.  Then the last two updates last month screwed it.  Guess I wait and see.

Dara

aka @talyn#3391

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.