Graphics card recommendations

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge The Oasis Recreation Graphics card recommendations

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sabre
    Fleet Member

So there I was happily playing STO last night when ‘zap’ the screen goes all weird and wonderful before my pc eventually tries to reboot itself over and over again.

“Oh dear” said I before calming myself and trying to figure out what went wrong. Anyway, cutting a boring story short my beloved GTX 560 Ti has gone to the great dumpster in the sky. It is dead…it is no more….etc, etc.

So my fellow fleeties a replacement it will have to be and quick. Recommendations if you please.

Bit of info for you if it helps:

CPU – i5 2500k
    Motherboard – Asus P8Z68-V
    RAM – Corsair Vengeance 8GB
    PSU – OCZ 700w Modxstream pro

aka @sabreoneone

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

I’m using a GTX 660 2GB which has served me well. It’s not the newest of the new right now, so that’s nice price-wise.
    But it runs all modern games with ease.
    I did learn that investing in a top of the line GFX now pays dividends later.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

rich68
    Fleet Member

The Nvidia 970 and 980’s are supposed to be good atm, and the newest ATI card is also pretty nice from what i’ve read. I’m SLI’ing 2 780ti’s on my computer atm. What Marcase said is pretty much spot on though. Depends on what resolution your using also. Lower won’t need as much as a higher resolution will. (I’m running 4k res so need the power)

Sabre
    Fleet Member

Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts, its much appreciated.

Going for one of the newest cards will probably mean an upgrade of my existing hardware, but that could be a good excuse and opportunity to get it all done in one go.

A little bit of research has led me to believe a GTX 760 might be a good choice.

aka @sabreoneone

Han (Reb)
    Fleet Member

If you need a more budget offering the GTX750Ti was introduced and I think roughly half the price of a GTX760 but obviously less performance. It doesn’t run SLI mode either if you were thinking of that.

REVIEW:
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-1225593/review

Here you can compare the 760 vs the 750 Ti:
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-760-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti

Admiral T'Liis [USS Endeavour]
    @rebnai

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

I’m using ATI Radeon™ HD 5570 that was released almost 5 years ago so I was thinking of buying new one for DR and this GTX 750Ti sounds very interesting. Settings I run are low/medium if I want everything to go smoothly. Looks like time has come for some high quality gaming.. Anyone know if it is important to change my processor (which is also 5 years old) when I buy a new Graphic card? I think motherboard isn’t that necessary to change as I think it has all sockets needed to support those new cards.

Han (Reb)
    Fleet Member

What is your CPU?

Also what is your RAM?

It is simpler to just add a new GPU and RAM. You can usually get away with the CPU but depends what it is really.

Admiral T'Liis [USS Endeavour]
    @rebnai

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

Well depends on your CPU, but for gaming most graphic cards can handle and even support/improve a CPU’s performance – all asuming your mother board can accomodate it. What you do need is a good power supply as high(er) end GFX cards require a steady power source and it’s something more important than upgrading your mobo or cpu.

Having said that, I don’t know where you’re shopping, but a lot of good upgrade kits are offered, offering a mobo, power and gfx card for reasonable prices. Not having to include a new CPU, harddisk and operating system really cuts down on retail price.

But like I said before, if you can afford it, get the best system now so it can serve you longer.

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

Current gear:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ 2.81 GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
    System Typle: 64-bit Operating System (Win 7)

As Marcase said, it is a long term investment so I’d like to get the most for invested money. I think €100-€150 would be the price range. Thanks

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)

I hate to say it, but honestly, that AMD is outdated. Trying to build a reasonable modern gaming PC around that one really is throwing money away. It was a decent CPU once, but its time has come and gone.
    For a new system that’s a long term investment and will have to last 4-5 more years, at the very least look for either a third generation Intel i5 or AMD FX-8350 and up.

Long story short, it’s going to cost you big; about ~350 euro minimum for starters to upgrade or buy a barebone setup that will work for you and run modern and future games smoothly. My not-quite-dated GTX 660 alone is currently priced for ~175 euro and that’s not a top of the line model anymore (but still runs like one).

However, you might (repeat: might) be able to fit a AMD Radeon HD 7750 (28 nm), have to check your mobo specs. But you still won’t be able to play current games at max detail, it would be a stop-gap solution, and I honestly wouldn’t want to invest money in that.

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

Mobo: ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE

Thanks for saying it, I’m totally noob when it comes to hardware and those components so those advices are like a gold to me. It is good to know that change of only one component won’t be enough, somehow I had in mind that new Graphic card will be enough. Currently I’m not prepared for big investments but I can slowly direct my budget toward it if I make a financial plan for future times.

Sorry Sabre for stealing your topic,hehe.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.