General Rumblings

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck General Rumblings

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vindleth
    Fleet Member

Did you ever notice how much time in sto you spend on loading screens. It seems everything i do is loading. Zone switching, going to bridge… its kinda gotten to the point of annoying…
    To get to earth spacedock i need to enter sol system then enter space-dock…why don’t they eliminate that map in between, same goes for other space stations. When i approach sol system i need button dock or beam to academy.

If it was possible to make a whole continent in wow without map loading why do i need to switch maps for every zone…the whole sector should be one map.

Then space should be one heck for empty space with nothing in between…yet here it is crowded. Ships everywhere…pushing each other…”make way coming through” “excuse me” “pardon me”….

Then those pop up messages…excuse me captain we just scanned the nodes for zillionth time and i have to say the same thing…for a first few times it was ok but now it is just erm annoying… they should put some kind of commercial there to make money

Like i said this is just a rambling…nothing serious.

oh and one link i found…http://masscoronalejection.deviantart.com/art/Map-FUTURE2-zps8a43bea7-406341004

fatman592
    Fleet Member

The longest loading times I experience are when I do foundry missions. I’m not really sure why sector blocks and space to planet transitions take a few seconds but the foundry can take over a minute.

Personally, I don’t mind sector blocks and the general setup. I like to see my ship warping in and then have to make the approach to DS9 (for example). And I’m sure it helps server stability. If STO had millions of players all paying a sub then I’m sure they would have the resources to make space like you want. My favorite space game prior to this was Freelancer and it used a similar system of having dedicated zones instead of vast nothing; I find STO to be a true successor (though it’s certainly not trying to be) as it is equally as playable and fun.

I also like seeing all the ships in the instance. However, I do think that introducing a new faction where all they want to do is fly the biggest junk wagons imaginable was not the best idea for sector space. But hey, whatever turns a profit benefits a total f2p player like me.

So yeah, STO has flaws but I really don’t feel those flaws kill the game.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Best way to avoid loading screens is of course using short cuts! 🙂

I rarely if ever go to ESD anymore since all my needs are met at other starbases, primarily K7.
    It’s just around the corner of our own starbase – with its handy quick transport to our mine and embassy – and our sb also has a Boff trainer etc available.

The Devs wanted a “zero border” map at first but the admittedly old game mechanics and large player numbers just complicate things.
    Btw they tried it with the New Romulus ground map and quite succesfully.

Bottom line, the loading screens are just a way for the server to group together teams of players.
    Notice that you will often (but not always) enter an instance where your fleetmembers or friends are already present, so the shards needs a few seconds to read your friends list and “hook you up” as it were.

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.