Big news day…

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Big news day…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    fatman592
    Fleet Member

First off, we get a new episode to go with the Delta Recruitment thing.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1402571

Second, the Pilot specialization is being bumped into a primary. We will be able to run any primary as a secondary, but get only the T1 & T2 passives. New boff powers to be announced in a future dev blog.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1402651

Finally, it is pretty much confirmed that 8 people from the STO staff have been/will be laid off. Makes sense with all the cash grabs. The health of the game seems to be worse than we were led to believe. Expect a LTS sale soon lol.

http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/17/cryptic-layoffs-alone-totaled-18-people/

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

CodeWarrior316
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. I don’t hang out on the big boards anymore so would probably have missed this till later. On the layoff thing, it doesn’t sound like its on a scale that will affect anything dramatically.

Blackout
    Fleet Member

Yay! More spec points to grind!

That being said, I think it’s time to pull out of any planned monetary investments in this game…

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Pretty shocked that PWO fired 8 STO employees, that’s a big chunk from the STO crew. Afaik STO is still a money-maker and cutting the staff there will have an impact…

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

fatman592
    Fleet Member

@Marcase wrote:

Pretty shocked that PWO fired 8 STO employees, that’s a big chunk from the STO crew. Afaik STO is still a money-maker and cutting the staff there will have an impact…

Well it could be financial guys, may even be a janitor. We know that Smirk is gone and so is the guy who made the revamped Fed tutorial. Beyond that, we’re just waiting and guessing.

I only put this news up because it’s a big indicator of what’s going on behind the scenes. It explains all the over the top cash grabs DR forward. And I have to agree with Blackout, it’s not good news for people who want to invest money into the game.

After this I think they’ll double down. More treadmill, more grind. Iconian and Borg promo ships even…

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Marcase
    Admiral (Retired)
    Founder 44th Delta FleetFleet Shindig Risa 2019Team Player

Indeed, all possible. What Cryptic has been communicating is that Season 10 and/or this year is already set and ‘finished’ and mapped out, so perhaps the perhaps the impact on the game itself will be minor.
    This is always a double edged sword; this could mean that STO won’t need a full staff because it’s ‘finished’ for the coming (revenue) year.

But we all know there’s always a need for patches and bug fixes and if it’s PWO program guys getting axed then you can have all the STO designers you need but with fewer ‘work horses’ the larger cart won’t get pulled any faster (Dutch saying that didn’t translate very well, but you get my meaning).

To be continued no doubt…

"Boldly bashing Borg to bits since 2012..."

Sargon
    Fleet Admiral
    Founder 44th Delta FleetTeam Player

just guessing, but I would think they have games not as lucrative as STO, which is where I think the cuts will be.

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

I don’t think STO will have 8 people fired. From all we know, Smirk and Matt Miller are only ones that will go, maybe two more. If I read it right, STO and NW will have 8 people fired together, so maybe 4 in each? (Maybe I’m too optimistic in this sorrow conditions) Other people are spread among other games?

And I’m looking forward to season 10, there isn’t much stuff to do in STO.

fatman592
    Fleet Member

Yeah, I don’t think well ever fully know the damage. But if the parent company takes a loss, and has been clearly pushing our devs to cash grab like there’s no tomorrow, then I think it’s reasonable to say that a doubling down on that strategy is in the future.

I too am looking forward to Season 10. I’m hoping the sector space revamp is as good of a QoL improvement as the boff training revamp was.

I’m playing Borderlands 2 at the moment, with limited STO doffing. So I hear you on the boredom.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.