Mechwarrior Online (MWO)

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge The Oasis Recreation Mechwarrior Online (MWO)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

I just recently got back into playing Mechwarrior Online again.  I’m a founder (original backer) for it, and the game itself kinda got me into the Battletech universe as an interest right up there with Star Trek and Star Wars.  Right now playing under the banner of the Federated Suns, but have played under the Ghost Bear clan.  Not part of any units or anything, but I have created one of my own mainly as a fill in the blank to look cool with a tag X-D.

Anyone else in the fleet play this at all?

I also backed the turn based game in development Battletech that should release full in spring ’18.

Novellus Caine
    Fleet Member

I’m a founder too, but I haven’t played it in years.  I’m not sure if I’d even remember my account at this point.  How much has the game changed since launch?

Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

It’s changed a good bit, especially since recent update.  Added a lot of newer weapons and gear.  Of course new mechs’, but not too many maps.  You do get to vote on map and game mode before a Quick Play match, but most votes tend to go to the same maps (cold planets for lower heat).  However Faction Play is a little more in-depth in a sense as far as game modes switching around.  Other than that, still about the same.

I re-named my single man unit to the 44th Avalon Hussars to reflect the fleet name if anyone is interested.  It’s a Federated Suns unit, which is House Davion.  Closes thing to our Federation in this universe.

Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

Here is 2 of my mechs.  My trustworthy Centurion and the Warhammer.  My pilot name on there is Huckleberry Hound.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Novellus Caine
    Fleet Member

Those are some sexy lookin’ mechs.  Just got home and found I don’t even have it installed any more, but I think I’m gonna re-download.  Even if only for a little diversion here and there.  I think I was running a Jenner when I first started playing, but it’s been awhile.  Once I get everything squared away, I’ll let you know who I am and maybe you can bring me up to speed.

Should be getting my replacement gaming headset today, so I should be able to get into discord and actually talk.

Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

A lot of new Battlemechs since you been in.  MoltenMetal on YouTube does a lot of videos on builds that he does, that’s a start if you looking for what to try.  I’ve not seen the Jenner running around much since I been on, so not sure where it falls on the list of what’s “meta”.  But I tend to go with what I like.  I always ran the Centurion CN9-AL and found I still do great in it.  Besides it, I’ve got 2 other Centurion models, 2 Warhammers, a Griffin, and 2 Atlas (never use them though, prefer something more agile).

Inner Sphere mechs are cheaper and easier to build up your mech bays with.  But if you look to upgrade your engine, almost the same price in the end as a Clan OmniMech, still cheaper though.  Not sure how familiar you are with the Clan tech, but your engine is permanent and you can swap out parts(arms, torsos) from other variants to make it more flexible with what you want, unlike the IS mechs.

There store ain’t half bad.  Got a good bit you can just buy out right with cash.  Most packages are $20 and it gives you 3 variants of the mech and I think all come with 30 days of premium time.  Cheaper than a ship in STO.

If you plan on doing Faction Play though, you will have to use whatever mech for the side you pick.  If you go Inner Sphere like me, you can only use those mechs specific to the IS with a combine drop weight of 265 tons (split between 4 mechs).  The Clans have a 240 ton limit.  You can go lower though, I run 2 Centurions with my 2 Warhammers so my weight is only 240.  It’s what I prefer even though I waste 15 tons.

They also added a skill tree.  Pretty simple, MoltenMetal goes over them in his vids.  You just have to spend C-Bills to transfer your earned XP in points for skill.  Not too bad, usually a match gives you enough for what you need.

Camo patterns, colors, and decals cost MC.  That means real money, but it’s not too expensive.  Downside is when you buy a camo pattern it’s only for that mech chassis.  But you can buy single use for cheap if you don’t plan on picking up more variants.  What you see on mine is the Davion pattern, camo colors I’d already bought/got for free back in the day(Ghost Bear Slate, Ghost Bear Light Blue, and PC Gamer Red), the Federated Suns decal, and the #4 decal.

That’s the basics of it.  I still got to dig up my headset.  You, and anyone, are always welcome to the unit I created so long as you want to be loyal to House Davion.  But I mainly made the unit just for the heck of it, to look cool.

Hope that helps a lot and gives some insight to anyone looking to try to it.

horridperson
    Fleet Member

That’s cool.  I played FASA’s Battletech as a kid back in the 80s.  My computer can probably take MMO Battletech about as well as it can hack STO but I’m hoping the turnbased game by Harebrained Schemes will be a little less computer intensive.  The universe was cool but I stopped playing before the clans entered the universe.  I haven’t bought in but HBS also developed a recent string of Shadowrun titles and they were quite enjoyable.

Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

Yea, I wish the table top game was still around and popular like Warhammer40k is around here.  I’d like to have played it.  I like the HBS game so far.  I would give it a thumbs up so far to anyone interested in Battletech.

I was trying to win a bid on the Warrior Trilogy of books, but sadly I got outbid last minute while I was at work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.