Roleplaying Roundtable

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Holodeck Roleplaying Roundtable

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    horridperson
    Fleet Member

Looks like they just posted the results of a role-playing forum on the main site. Apparently there is a live ingame followup on Saturday (times are posted in the article). I don’t know if I’m available to check either of the timings out but I would certainly like to if I were free.

I don’t know how everyone else feels about the possibility but It’s something I’m sort of interested in. I can’t see rp replacing standard comms among fleet members( I like to shoot the shit in chat “normal”). Still when I considered playing a Star Trek MMO there was an interest in rp that drew me in. Sometimes grinding up romulan rep I can’t help but think there is more to being a starship captain than this 🙁 .

Some of the things they discussed in their meeting as a wishlist sound pretty cool just wondering what everyone else thinks about watching how it plays out and considering involvement providing it isn’t too Drozhana ghetto or furry.

Neisseria337
    Fleet Member

Sounds fun to me, timezones permitting.

I came to this MMO as a tabletop roleplayer and Trek fan primarily, and it’s always seemed a bit weird to me that there’s not more roleplaying in-game (except for… umm.. those kinds of roleplayers). I guess that’s just the nature of MMOs that they’re video games first and RPG second.

Anyways, yeah, I would certainly be interested in the RPG side of the MMORPG. Obviously it’s not for everyone in the fleet and in-character talk is easily switched off for chatting with those who aren’t interested, but if there were some fleet folk into a little light roleplaying then it would save having to look further afield for that aspect of the game.

horridperson
    Fleet Member

My background was fairly similar. Citing the Drohz/furry example is probably one of the negative stigmas that curb most people from taking a look at it. I guess there are some fleets out there that have CoCs that involve paying compliments and other obnoxious practices that just aren’t especially fun to participate in. When I think about rp I guess I wonder how one might go about simulating a miniature episode that allows for some character development. If it took any form I could see it as an event that would involve interaction between the cast of players and some character goals arcing around a main plot. I’m uncertain of the limitations of foundry but my understanding is it has a few. Just the same it might offer some “sets”. I wonder how you might go about moderating something like that. Best as I can figure Someone would have to be the screenwriter and prepare a brief for each “actor” prior to play then allow it to go freeform in “scenes” with some mission sequences for action in between them.

Neisseria337
    Fleet Member

Hmm, yeah the Foundry is probably a good place to start. I think you’re right, you could fairly easily have some open-ended bits in between combat segments if one person plays a GM/NPC and has the sole responsibility for clicking a console that says “advance” or something to bring up other NPC dialogue. I might experiment with the Foundry a bit and see what I can come up with in terms of mechanics – never tried it before though so might be a steep learning curve.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.