Legacy of Romulus

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Legacy of Romulus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Sabre
    Fleet Member

So……you’ve all had a look by now.

Is it more than you had expected or is it less?

Does this change any short or long term plans you had?

aka @sabreoneone

Albabarn
    Fleet Member

Looks like it could be good. I’m looking at this all from a new players point of view. I’ll be saving some of the C-Store points I was planning on spending to see what I can get with them as a Romulan.

Short term though it doesn’t change too much, i’ve got a month to hammer it as my Fed Engineer as come the 31st i’m not sure how much play time he’ll be getting. Also getting a Gold account seems like it was much more worth while now as I can imagine that there may be the odd queue come June!

Sargon
    Fleet Admiral
    Founder 44th Delta FleetTeam Player

kind of makes me wish i had not invested any resources, including time, in my sci alt, Shar’Kali. still working to get her up to speed. getting close on the rep sys.

part of me wants to play a romulan character, but at the same time starting at level one and working up is a lot of work.

plenty of time to decide, but i’m just not sure about a romulan. my limit seems to be 2 characters. if i do go with a romulan i will probably put Shar away for awhile.

we will see.

elvis441
    Fleet Member

I’m interested in how all this will be implemented. Overall, I dont think it will change too much for me. I’m a Fed Lifer…

horridperson
    Fleet Member

More ambitious than I expected for the Romulans. Right about the bare minimum they could get away with for the KDF (parity with brand new Rom faction- How very Fed of them). Hardly shocking. It does look like they have been very busy and kept things under their hats reasonably well.

So do I totally hate the Romulans? Hardly. Looks like I need to start 3 new toons so I can run one captain of each class for the factions. On a nasty note Ba’el is just hitting her stride in the Tor’Kaht and within striking distance of scoring hot end game gear. In two months time she will be amped up and choking the feeble romulans on the wreckage of their new ships:).

I would like to fly one of the classic rom BoPs though:). Now they dropped the bomb we should get weekly expositions and learn more particulars as we get closer to the end of May.

BAMFacus
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

The cool part about having a brand new faction is that everyone has to start from level 1 so we all have to level up together. They should be able to incorporate the Romulans into the mirror event so leveling will be a breeze.

bodgeup
    Fleet Member

Well it’s what I expected, I knew it was the Rom playable faction! The dev blogs and the ask cryptic have been pointing to it for months now, the last one the guy said the demand for the rom faction is overwhelming so they said they have listened. Which basically told us it was 100% happening, I got into a few heated debates about the faction, I was saying this 100% happening at people were trying to convince me it wasn’t. The main argument against me was that KDF hadn’t been fleshed out properly so how could they release another faction. Anyway I was right! Can’t wait to play it myself now as I have always loved the designs of Romulan ships, they are very slick looking don’t you think? I hope there will be some nice designs to choose from, so more money to spend! Also looking forward to seeing what the new character creator will be like as that is being released at the same time. I think it will include the ability to respect traits, I know it was planned and was happening so I assume they will do it along with the character creator release. If u look at one of the ROM screen shots carefully you can see the new character creator design, well I assume that’s what it is as its not what we have at moment.

Anyway looking forward to this may update, I hope they have some more FED content too. They haven’t moved on the story arc for a season now, they said they was going to so i assume it will come with this update. We really need to know more about the iconians & the unknown aliens.

Hope everyone else is excited about it anyway, I am as any new content is good news. They certainly must be making enough mone to keep devs paid and pumping out content.

Latinumbar
    Admiral (Retired)
    Team Player

I’m just glad that they are finishing the KDF as well. Web page says you can start as a Kdf from level 1.

horridperson
    Fleet Member

I think I’ll be trying to limit my comments to our own forums. The STO forums are a little too “hot” sometimes when people read things they don’t agree with. Here is my opinion on the faction, I’ve had another couple days to read through the info Cryptic has provided and observe the strange conjecture cropping up on the forums.

There is quite a population of Romulan snowflakes out there. They envision a storyline they will be able to pick and determine which faction they want to belong to. It seems quite a departure from both the Federation and KDF linear models. A review of the web site spelled out the plot rather clearly. Freedom fighters against a regime. Cut and dried.

I may not have been happy with the neglect the KDF has been subjected to but in a xenos-ploitation flick kind way the Klingon culture may have been a bit of a caricture but it was not awkwardly reinvented.

Romulans are secretive products of a Byzantine society. For me they were always the cold, calculation balanced against the passionate aggression of the Klingons when both races the bad guys through their histories on Trek shows.

Romulan freedom fighters is more in line with Federation values than those of the classic Romulan Star Empire. And there it is. The shrieking of the “true romulans” will be epic. The faction will be incredibly popular with crossover Federation players who wanted a cloak terribly but didn’t want to be “brutish” Klingons.

Neglect as opposed to compromise might be better. I cringe at what might become of a fine faction like the Cardassian Union (They had me at early DS9 and the Birth of the Federation PC Game:) “Control is the only thing that matters”.

Sargon
    Fleet Admiral

@horridperson wrote:

I think I’ll be trying to limit my comments to our own forums. The STO forums are a little too “hot” sometimes when people read things they don’t agree with.

i still read and post on the STO forum even though i always regret it. i’m not super excited about the romulans, but will probably start a romulan character. the romulan will get very limited play time since i have started playing my klingon again. i can only grind so much.

horridperson
    Fleet Member

@sargon

reading the forums is often like looking at accidents; in spite of knowing better you have to look. Posting is just an invitation to a crapfling from someone who cares far too much about amusing diversions. I would like to give a romulan science officer a go most likely but would like to see the majority of my current characters in a state that I don’t feel the need to continually reorder doff missions, grind rep, marks, pazoozoos whatever. I’d like to play missions because my friends are playing them, not because I want rewards for my character. As more of my characters reach this point I think I’ll be happier.

Sargon
    Fleet Admiral

i can relate horrid. my sci alt does fine with one ship and what she gets in normal play. same with my klingon that gets crumbs. i would like to see the base finish to work on getting those nice weapons, but as you state the fun is in running the missions and playing with your friends.

when i grind too much it feels like work. i don’t like that.

Damix
    Vice-Admiral
    Team Player

I will create a romulan character as I would feel that I am missing a lot of story content otherwise.They started it with those fed missions,new-romulus and its reputation system missions and now this is a natural conclusion of the story that was boiling for some time.Now I’ll be able to see tho whole plot from their point of view and I can’t wait to experience it. 🙂

Albabarn
    Fleet Member

Do we think that the Romulan characters will be like the KDF where you start at a certain level aready?

CodeWarrior316
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

@Albabarn wrote:

Do we think that the Romulan characters will be like the KDF where you start at a certain level aready?

No, they have clearly stated leveling is from 1-50.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.