Greatest Man I ever knew

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge The Oasis Recreation Greatest Man I ever knew

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Yesterday 05/05/2019 would of been the 111th Birthday of the Greatest Man I ever knew – My Father.

My Pop was my best friend, my hero, the guy who I would argue with or just talk with, and the hardest working man I knew. He was 52yrs old when I was born, my Mother was 20yrs his junior, and my sister would come two years later.

He was a Master Carpenter, Member of the 8th Army Air Corp (you did not call him Air Force LoL), and Veteran of WWII, who work until he was 74yrs from the US Post Office. All of this with only a 6th grade education, he could build just about anything out of wood from homes to cabinets using handsaws and a square.

He out lived three of his four wives, one son, his parents and most of his siblings. He saw B17s come back from bombing Germany, barely flying and he stood guard over Germans while they cleaned up a concentration camp, and he would paint nose art on the US Planes.

Was he perfect? No, he taught me at a early age that no mortal is perfect. But He still was my hero.

So why post this here? Well every year I post something on line about my Pop, last year it was on the WoWs’s Forums, this year it is here. I hope all of you do not mind, and Oh by the way Pop love and watch the TOS and he thought Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) was beautiful, so there is a minor Star Trek connection. 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by SgtKen60.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by SgtKen60.

aka @sgtken60 "AKA Grumpy Old Klingon/Andorian

Dirk
    Fleet Member

Chaos. nice post.  Our Dads are a big part of our lives.  Both my parents are long past but I remember them both as often as I can.  My dad was also in the military (Army).  He was in Korea several times and went to Vietnam 2 or 3 times as well.  My dad was a very hard military man but I have many pleasant memories of doing things with him.  I try to hang on to those as much as I can.

My dad watched TOS back when it was a current show and I remember watching too.  That would have been 1969, 1970ish.  I guess it was probably going into reruns at that point.  I just looked it up and TOS only ran for 3 seasons, 79 episodes.  Seems to me like it was on forever.

Great read Choas.  Thanks for prompting my memories.

aka @thraxin#7901

SgtKen60
    Fleet Member

Thanks Dirk, I know maybe for some of the younger members of the Fleet the whole idea of a kid getting along with their parents may sound strange, but I really did. And do not get me wrong, Pop and I butted heads but I always respected my old man.

And yes BTW he was really that old, he made to the age of 92yrs. My Grandfather (his Dad) made it to 83yrs, and my Great Grandfather made it to 90yrs.

aka @sgtken60 "AKA Grumpy Old Klingon/Andorian

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.