SciFi Fans Must Read (or must see)

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge The Oasis Recreation SciFi Fans Must Read (or must see)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sargon
    Fleet Admiral
    Founder 44th Delta FleetTeam Player

i was posting earlier on Bodgeup’s thread about the great S3 of TNG. i got off on a tangent about the crews of ST, which made me think of something i had meant to post before.

there is an old science fiction movie that i think had a lot of influence on later science fiction. i have often wondered if Gene Roddenberry got any ideas from it. the movie is “The Forbidden Planet”. i think it is one of the best scifi movies ever made.

IMDB shows it to be 1956. this movie had good story, plot and special effects. considering the year it was made the effects are still very good even compared to current times. you will recognize many of the actors in this movie back when they were youngsters.

i think the crew idea for ST came from this movie. if you ever watched the orginal Lost in Space you will see something familiar. i think Star Wars borrowed from this movie too.

if you enjoy classic science fiction do yourself a favor and watch this movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/

Edit….went to wikipedia and found this:

Influence [edit]The biography of Gene Roddenberry, Star Trek Creator, notes that Forbidden Planet “was one of my inspirations for Star Trek.”[19] The Doctor Who story Planet of Evil was consciously based partly on Forbidden Planet.”[20] The title character of the 1975 story The Brain of Morbius was named after Dr. Morbius from Forbidden Planet.

The musical Return to the Forbidden Planet was inspired and loosely based on Forbidden Planet[21] and won the Olivier Award for best musical of 1989/90.[22]

A scene from the science fiction television series Babylon 5, set on the Epsilon III Great Machine bridge, strongly resembles the Krell Great Machine. While this was not the intent of the show’s producer, the special effects crew tasked with creating the imagery stated that the Krell Great Machine was a deliberate reference to their Epsilon III homage.[23]

Forbidden Planet is named alongside several other classic science fiction films in the opening song “Science Fiction Double-Feature” of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

GTVADeimos

Great movie been in my collection for years. As good as the original Day the Earth Stood Still. Thankfully the proposed remake appears to have died a death.

Vindleth
    Fleet Member

That movie is awesome. Saw it long time ago and i dont think ill ever forget it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.