Laptop Suggestions?

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge The Oasis Recreation Laptop Suggestions?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sargon
    Fleet Admiral
    Founder 44th Delta FleetTeam Player

i had been thinking about upgrading to a pc that would make playing STO better as far as graphics and sound goes. I tried looking at alienware on dell, but their site kept locking up so i left it. from what little i saw it looked like alienware is a nice looking package that is over priced.

i know a lot of people here in the fleet are pretty sharp about this pc stuff. if you wanted a pc (laptop) to play STO on with great graphics and sound what would you recommend??

Latinumbar
    Admiral (Retired)
    Team Player

depends on your price range.

I got mine at Costco.com. They have excellent warranty/return policy. If you buy HP brand from them online, you can custom build it. Got my laptop earlier this year with

i5 processor @ 2.5 GHz
    6G RAM
    1G Radeon vid card
    500G HD
    Win 7 64-bit

for around $600. Sto runs fine on it. Can probably get similar specs now for even less. Not sure about windows 8, though.

mrbruce1970
    Fleet Member

Whatever you are looking at, just make sure it has what is called a discrete video card. Many laptops and even some “gaming” laptops have shared video which is junk. A discrete video card means a laptop has a real video card in it with it’s own video processor and memory.

Blackout
    Fleet Member

The question is how big are you willing to go?

If you’re willing to go 17″+ you have lots of options. If you actually want to carry it around, then you should specifiy how big/heavy you’re willing to go.

Sargon
    Fleet Admiral

probably would not be carrying it around a lot. a big screen would be nice. a big quality screen. basically just a pc to play the game on with super good video quality and sound.

Latinumbar
    Admiral (Retired)
    Team Player

Then why not just get another desktop? Big monitor, faster, cheaper.

mrbruce1970
    Fleet Member

Here’s the laptop I bought. I guess it’s about two years old now.

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.40GHz) 18.4″ Wide XGA+ 4GB Memory DDR2 667 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

It’s quite large, definitely not something you put on your lap which I suppose kind of defeats the purpose of being called a laptop.

Sargon
    Fleet Admiral

@Latinumbar wrote:

Then why not just get another desktop? Big monitor, faster, cheaper.

good question. we left desktops behind a long time ago. that may be something to consider.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.