Help with crashing

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Help with crashing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bazz
    Fleet Member

Discovered something today which might help with the frequent crashes.

If you go to Esc->Options->Advanced the first item is “Reduced File Streaming”

What this does is load as much as it can into RAM to prevent disk reads. A laudable thing.

However, if you’re running STO off a SSD this really doesn’t help.  Even if you’re running off spinny rust, this seems to cause issues. I suspect that Cryptic’s memory management may have some problems.

Since I turned this off I haven’t had one crash.

Image already added

CodeWarrior316
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Last time I had severe issues with STO crashing, I had a bad RAM stick.

Bazz
    Fleet Member

Yeah, that certainly won’t help. 😉

Image already added

Chanfron
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

If the crashes have started within the last 2-3 weeks it could also be the new 64 bit game client, for some reason cryptic made no announcement about it going live, you can change it back via the following.

Open STO launcher – login with your password – don’t hit engage yet – click options then scroll down – under the game heading will be a check box for use 32 bit client – save – engage.

I had no crashes before and have had a few completely random ones since 64bit went live.

Bazz
    Fleet Member

Interesting.  I haven’t had any of the slow-number-roll-disconnect crashes which just log you out, but a couple of hard crashes (complete exit).

I’ll try the 32-bit client.

Image already added

Chanfron
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Todays patch says it fixes the following

• Resolved an issue which occasionally caused a graphics related crash when running on a Windows 10 Operating System.
    • Resolved an issue which was occasionally causing a crash related to the change to running the game in a 64 bit client
    • we will see
    Bazz
    Fleet Member

Yep, saw that..   I’ll witch back to 64-bit and reduced streaming and see if it’s fixed.

Image already added

KirksFavoriteSon
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Another thing I discovered, which put an end to some graphics problems in STO I’d been having for a long time:

Some time ago, I switched to an AMD Radeon video card from an Nvidia GeForce brand card. No problem there, and I was tech-savvy enough to make sure all the old GeForce drivers were gone (I have tools for that, as I’m sure many of you do).

BUT

What I didn’t realize until I did some drive cleanup recently, is the the now-Nvidia owned PhysX drivers still existed on my hard drive as a separate install. I deleted them simply because they were now irrelevant — but then, 99% of my graphical issues with STO disappeared as soon as I did so.

I mention this in case it’s helpfel to someone else. Also, I don’t do “GeForce vs. Radeon” brand wars debates. Use whatever tech you prefer. If it works for you, it works for you.

Be well all,

Shaw

aka @CobaltBlueHero

Chanfron
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

That’s interesting to know, guess the PhysX drivers don’t play nice with amd cards.

Since the patch mention my crashes have disappeared, think I have only had 1 crash since so whatever they did seems to have fixed the 64bit version.

Urtha
    Fleet Member

I hope that the 64bit version is fixed.  I ‘ll switch back and see if the crash 30 minutes in still happens.  Fingers crossed!

aka @Thorntongue

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.