Are transporters just suicide boxes?

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Are transporters just suicide boxes?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    srwafu
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

So if y’all don’t know C G P Grey, well, you should – he makes very interesting and informative youtube videos, and his latest is a very nice one about the philosophical problems of transporters – long story short, are you actually moved, or are you copied and then killed?

Check the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQHBAdShgYI to see the video on youtube

Lhivera
    Fleet Member

Yeah, this has been the topic of conversation (often fueled by alcohol) since the 70’s. I had many a debate with college friends about it! None of which I remember well at all. And really, I have no idea whatsoever.

Captain Huckabee
    Fleet Member

Very interesting

fatman592
    Fleet Member

Depending on your personal views on metaphysics, it may or may not be. A strict naturalist would likely say it is killing the dematerialized person, since the rematerialized person is merely a copy. Those who believe in the supernatural might suggest the soul or energy of a person is transferred to the copy and is therefore the same person.

Regardless, transporters are an incredibly unlikely price of technology to ever come to fruition – based on our understanding of physics. Great for a show though.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.