Ultimate Ability for Engineers (Feedback & Ideas)

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Ultimate Ability for Engineers (Feedback & Ideas)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jalification
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

Introduction —
    Last night live-stream inspired me to help out with the upcoming skilltree. I’m ok with the Ultimates for the Science & Tactical. You can influence the outcome by using the right equipment. And if you activate such ability, you see directly the result of it in the amount of damage output you create.

However the Engineering ability not so much. It is basicly a plasma proc which you cannot influence and it has a damage over time. You won’t really notice the effect that much. An Ultimate in my mind is something that has an worthwhile effect that does something visually and feels different. It should have a risk vs reward feeling to it, and something you can influence!

General Observations —
    So I’m going to take a look at what kind of player the engineer is; If a engineer spends so many points into engineering, you can probably expect that:
    – He is going to fly a cruiser to make the most out of his skills.
    – He is going to be able to hull tank, really really good.
    – He is going to have a very very high base energy.
    – He is not going to do the most damage directly like a tac.

So he wants an Ultimate ability that makes the best out of these skills he invested in. Borticus already mentioned in the livestream itself that he would hope more players would take a defensive role (I AGREE). Engineer is going to shine in that, but I also know that STO isn’t a classical trinity (it also something they mentioned before). So how are we going to create an ultimate ability that can act as defence but also help the cruiser offensively (even if it is indirectly) while keep it unique, worthwhile, but not overpowered?

— THE Ultimate Ability for Engineers —
    I don’t want people to focus on numbers too much, please take them with a grain of salt and that a look at the core mechanics of the idea. Some figures should be changed/adjusted depending on testing.

MAIN EFFECT: – Command & Control –
    Discription; Your captain now has the ability to fool the enemy sensors. It flows energy from the warpcore to the hull to generate waves that fools the enemy thinking the ship has a massive building energy output. In reality, the hull of the ship itself is reinforced for the incoming damage and inertia + turnrate is reduced (“flying brick syndrome”). Part off the incoming damage is converted into energy which is stored and used after.
    Ability duration; aprox 15 sec
    — Reduce subsystem powers by -13 (negating all the bonus from skills basicly, but it doesn’t cripple)
    — Reduce Turnrate & Innertia
    — Reset all treat of other players for 5sec within 10km radius
    — After Ability has been used; use converted energy into hull heal over time (aprox 15 sec) depending on the amount of damage received.
    — Increase 100%+ hull amount – OR – 200%+ Temp hitpoints

3 additional options to make the ultimate ability stronger. Which add the offensive aspect that is lacking
    1. During Command & Control – All incoming heals are doubled (good synergy with science ultimate) – OR – Increase effectiveness of hull amount/temp hitpoints.
    2. Converted Energy is now also used to increase Crit Severity by (amount of damage recieved)% for 15sec
    3. Converted Energy is now also used to increase proc chance of weapons to (amount of damage recieved)% for 15sec.

Closing thoughts

This Ultimate ability, has a high risk vs reward. You will catch attention from all NPC’s, reduce your mobility and reduce energy amount. In that small time period you neeed to survive, but ones you survived you get a very very good bonus to your potential damage output. Which can be customized and adjusted to your liking.

Jalification
    Fleet Member
    Team Player
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.