Anyone know if / how i can use ….. (see body for full)

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck Anyone know if / how i can use ….. (see body for full)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bodgeup
    Fleet Member

Couldnt fit all my question in the title!!

So does anyone know if / how i can use Boolean Operators in a PHPBB search box?

Its just im trying to search our recruitment thread for members that have stated there location as United Kingdon. Ive tried this:=

“united” AND “kingdom” OR “location”

But it didnt seem to work, it still used either of the 2 options that u can check below the text box itself. The “Search for all terms or use query as entered” and “Search for any terms” options.

Can you even do this?? I know u can use Boolean expressions to create advanced search queries in google.com or other main stream search engines / scripts.

No biggy its just i know we have a few developers in our ranks and so am requesting there knowledge. If not ill do it the old fashioned way, going through the posts one by one. I can only find 2 results when searching normally which is why i wanted to try this as i know there are more members from the UK.

I assume there is an accessable SQL Db behind the forum, as its required for PHPBB i think? If i dont get any replies i suppose i can try to do a direct SQL query to the SQL db.

Like i said its no biggy if not im just being a pain in the arse in my quest for knowledge! lol 😎

Lataz peeps n peepetts!

mrbruce1970
    Fleet Member

Google would have this done in a second but for the fact that it is not able to parse the recruitment threads.

phpbb doesn’t allow boolean search. But you can go to the recruitment forum and search the forum itself.

http://startrek.44thfleet.com/forum/index.php?f=8&rb_v=viewforum

Searching for United Kingdom only brings up two results which brings up to another issue. For very good reasons, either by default or by someone setting it that way, phpbb can not search for anything less than three characters. This means you cannot search for “uk”.

Perhaps a forum admin can change that and would make the change quickly one day for you so you can do your search and then switch it back. Essentially this is used to prevent caching of search terms including highly common words like a, I, is, or, we etc.

Neisseria337
    Fleet Member

Can’t help with the question but I’m in Sheffield, UK 🙂 (and you reminded me that I hadn’t said so in my profile…)

bodgeup
    Fleet Member

@mrbruce1970 wrote:

Google would have this done in a second but for the fact that it is not able to parse the recruitment threads.

phpbb doesn’t allow boolean search. But you can go to the recruitment forum and search the forum itself.

http://startrek.44thfleet.com/forum/index.php?f=8&rb_v=viewforum

Searching for United Kingdom only brings up two results which brings up to another issue. For very good reasons, either by default or by someone setting it that way, phpbb can not search for anything less than three characters. This means you cannot search for “uk”.

Perhaps a forum admin can change that and would make the change quickly one day for you so you can do your search and then switch it back. Essentially this is used to prevent caching of search terms including highly common words like a, I, is, or, we etc.

Yeah the 3 character bug is pretty annoying as the location is normally abbreviated to UK, but what can u do?

Thanks for the reply.

bodgeup
    Fleet Member

@Neisseria337 wrote:

Can’t help with the question but I’m in Sheffield, UK 🙂 (and you reminded me that I hadn’t said so in my profile…)

Nice to see another fellow Britt in the 44th, hopefully bump into you in game sooner or later.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.