AMD/Radeon Graphics Card Graphics Error Workaround

Our Fleet Forums Public Lounge Main Deck AMD/Radeon Graphics Card Graphics Error Workaround

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    KirksFavoriteSon
    Fleet Member
    Team Player

I’ve been having some problems with the graphics in Star Trek Online of late (and only in STO), so I figured I’d post this for my fellow Radeon graphics card users who might be experiencing similar problems.

If you’re seeing graphical corruption, where the skin/faces of your characters suddenly turn jet black, and/or you’re seeing black square patterns on character clothes or hair, there is a workaround for this.

It turns out that the last couple of iterations of Radeon graphics drivers don’t play well with STO, specifically (I’ve heard this can also affect Neverwinter — so it seems to be something in the Cryptic engine), but there are a couple of workarounds which stop the glitching for most players.

1) Switch your Direct X settings in the game options from Direct X 11 to Direct X 9ex or Direct X 9.

OR

2) Turn off anti-aliasing in the game options.

Whichever change you decide to make, remember to hit the Apply button before exiting the menu, and then quit your game entirely and restart. You need to restart the program for the changes to take effect.

Until Radeon gets the driver issue sorted, this should let you play as normal.

Shaw

aka @CobaltBlueHero

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.